Sumatra PDF in the preview pane

I think it is the convoluted TL;DR trial registration system as I now seem to be running one year after my last attempt with a trial copy :slight_smile:
Now can I remember how to change the previewer to SumatraPDF, instead of the zoomable one >

1 Like

@ByronWillis

Now I am running DOpus as a novice I see many built in DOpus viewers already have the ability to zoom pages on the web (though that one is difficult to keep focused, since many websites reject IE and insist on edge), PDF and almost everything else including ability in multipage formats to roll pages same as the system previewer would.

The only extra features using the SumatraPDF plugin appears to provide is search (when available) and show bookmarks (when available) neither of which are always present in the source document.

I saw the screenshots you posted which include Adobe Acrobat and PDF-Xchange. I arleady have Bluebeam Revu which is an expensive high end PDF editing product as well as ABBYY Finereader which I use for OCR. I'd really like to avoid having to use Adobe Acrobat or PDF-Xchange (another $50) for just a simple viewer pane plug-in. If there were a lightweight PDF plug-in that were already supported by DOpus that were free I would totally try it-

The exchange one with zoom etc came with trackers older free viewer but I am sure the latest freemium editor also includes it.

I have not compared speed but since it is feature rich (same as SumatraPDF -plugin) they can be slow to fill that first page.

So going full circle you need a potential faster one such as that which is provided by Acrobat or DOpus i.e. more limited ones but do include desired zoom.

I am not certain where the DOpus one came from as I have several apps that the multiviewer may have detected perhaps @Leo can tell me where to check. which one was the one shown two posts up

As far as I know DOpus doesn't include a built in PDF viewer. When I disable Sumatra as a pdf viewer, what ends up happening is that the first page of the pdf is converted into a bitmap image and then DOpus uses its built in image previewer. This would be fine for me except I then lose the ability to toggle thru multi-page PDF's using the previewer.

I'm not sure which one you're asking about, because the two screen shots that you posted recently show that you're using either Acrobat or PDF-Xchange?

I just reread PDF-Xchange's software policy on their website and see that 70% of the features are available for free. I just downloaded but I'm not encouraged about its "lightweight"-ness since it is 350MB...

Filesize is irrelevant to speed.

Most people use one of Adobe Reader, PDF-XChange or Sumatra's viewers. I think Foxit may be another alternative. Those are probably your options.

If you want Sumatra's preview handler to support zoom, it'd probably make sense to ask the Sumatra devs to add that to their preview handler, as they can do that a lot quicker than anything else will happen. (I'm not sure we can use Sumatra based on it being GPL, either.)

I have tried to explain that there is in general no problem by including an unmodified released official binary, of course you should take you own legal advise.
https://forum.sumatrapdfreader.org/t/license-commercial-use-distribution-with-3rd-party-software/536/34?u=githubrulesok

Not the ONE developer but historically Zoom is unlikely to be added to the light/fast thumbnail/previewer (which has its own issues), it is only made available in the slower exe which can be called as a restricted plugin.

Just downloaded PDF-Xchange and configured it to be used within DOpus and so far I'm content with its load speed, the ability to zoom, and to navigate by page. Only thing missing that would be nice is the ability to search text.

Either way, would still love to see expanded support for Sumatra in the future, but for now have a tenable solution!

1 Like