Surface Book: scrolling doesn't work correctly

I am using DOpus 12.7 (x64) and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (x64) and two-fingers scrolling isn't smooth at all.

• moving the fingers just a little doesn't scroll at all (as opposed to apps like Chrome where it scrolls just a litte, basically following the fingers' move)
  • you have to make bigger and faster moves to have scrolling happen: it then scrolls a lot, like 5-10 lines in a row

It makes it nearly impossible to navigate using the touchpad gestures.

Note: it works with the default Windows explorer.

This may be a more general problem since the same thing happens with native Windows dialogs like the open/save file dialogs.

Update: I have the same problems with a Lenovo laptop that has Windows 10.

It doesn't sound like an Opus problem if it affects other listviews like the standard File Open dialogs.

It sounds like the gesture scrolling is misconfigured. There's usually a control panel or app to change how sensitive it is and how much it scrolls by default.

The gesture scrolling seems to be fine since it works as expected in apps like:

• chrome
  • windows explorer

Also, there doesn't seem to exist such sensivity setting: there is one but it's there to avoid accidental touches.

My guess is that Windows emulates mousewheel events using two fingers scrolling in these listviews: this would explain why it doesn't follow the fingers move and requires a bigger move and why it skips several lines.

Maybe there is a way to properly handle scrolling gestures events?

Note: I have the same problem for horizontal scrolling, but here it only moves a few pixels, even when doing a very large gesture using the trackpad so it's again unusable :confused:

I looked at what happened in more details:

• slow two-fingers scrolling doesn't do anything (in Windows Explorer it scrolls just a few pixels: as expected)
  • if I scroll long/fast enough, it scrolls a full page, no matter how big the scroll is
  • for horizontal scrolling, if the move is large enough, it scrolls a few pixels left/right

The File Open dialogs are implemented by Microsoft's own code, from within the same components that Explorer is made out of.

So if Microsoft's laptop running Microsoft's drivers on Microsoft's operating system aren't doing the right thing with Microsoft's listview controls in Microsoft's File Open dialogs, I think you need to raise the problem with Microsoft rather than GP Software. :smiley:

(I don't think any of us have a Surface to test on to try implementing scrolling via an alternative API, but I don't think we should have to do that when scrolling works with every other piece of hardware/mouse driver and when the problem with the Surface affects more than just Opus.)

I am pretty sure the problem isn't specific to the Surface. It may be specific to "precision touchpad" which is a new API introduced by Microsoft in Windows 10. Lots of third-party devices are using it, not only Surface ones. Unfortunately I don't have access to such a device to see if the problem is there too. Seeing how bad it works I am not surprised to see so many people plugging a mouse into their laptop :frowning:

As for reporting the problem to Microsoft I am afraid as a simple isolated user reporting it, I will simply be ignored. Maybe as a developper of a popular app you could report it?

yeah ,its true, i have the exactly same problem like you , xiaomi laptop pro with precision touchpad

I am having the same problem on HP laptop, I think I have Synaptics touch pad. So there's no solution? I have disabled smooth scrolling but it doesn't help. I am forced to scroll with pg down or arrow keys.

bump

Are you also seeing the same problems people above saw in the basic File Open dialogs? If so, the answer is the same as then.

Please also link your account.

I am on a Surface Pro 6 with type cover, which uses a Windows Precision touchpad. I am also experiencing similar issues, but it is only really pronounced in Directory Opus.

In standard Windows File Open dialogs, it's no-where near as pronounced — It's certainly not as smooth as scrolling in Chrome or something like that, but it's not like in Directory Opus where as already described it'll be unresponsive to scroll gestures until you do a larger scroll gesture. And then when you do, it'll 'jerk' and scroll too much.

I have always had this behavior, even on my previous Surface Pro 4, and I just chalked it up to being a quirk between Directory Opus and the Windows Precision trackpad stuff. But since someone else has brought it up, I thought I'd weigh in on my experience too.

1 Like

That's a very good description of the problem and it's the same for me on a very different machine. Title of the thread should now be just "scrolling doesn't work correctly".

It's almost a deal breaker for me because without usable scrolling it breaks the UX and workflow. It seems strange because in all software I have used I don't recall ever having this issue.

PS: I am on the trial

What machine is that?

Scrolling works fine with a normal mousewheel.

HP 850 G5, Win 10 x64.

So another notebook, also with the "precision touchpad" stuff I guess?

That's presumably what the common link is, not the fact that it's a Surface or an HP or whatever.

You are correct, my touchpad is using the MS "precision touchpad" drivers. It seems that since Windows 8.1, MS is offering the precision drivers to all manufacturers, and then it's the manufacturer choice if they want to ship the laptop with a custom driver or use the precision one. So it's very likely to stay rather than go away. I think it's also possible to use the Elan or synaptics drivers, but then you might lose some/all gestures.

Is there any update on this? I have the same problem - I have a surface book 2 with the precision touchpad too. It makes the program really frustrating to use without a mouse.

I agree that Microsoft should fix the problem but we all know that's highly unlikely. So I think that's the wrong mindset - the developers should want to give us the users the best possible experience with the program. If that means working around a buggy API it's not ideal but it still should be done.

Just my thoughts!

If someone sends me a Surface laptop I'd be happy to look into it. :slight_smile:

Given the problem manifests in parts of the OS itself and isn't specific to Opus, I don't understand why people aren't demanding MS fix the problem rather than that individual applications work around it. It's the kind of thing that should affect hardware review scores.

Yes fair point. The thing is I’ve never come across the problem except in Opus. Overall I find my Surface Book to be excellent so it’s hard to fault the hardware. The other thing is I would have no idea how to get in touch to report it to Microsoft - where would I do that? The feedback hub? I have no idea if anyone from Microsoft would respond to it.

And how would I explain the problem - I have a problem scrolling in one program? They would just tell me the problem is with the program and I should contact the developers of the program.