Synchronise a set of folders

Dear DOpus community,

I have an interal HDD, which I backup to a USB HDD using some backup software (personal backup - personal-backup.rathlev-home.de/ - freeware!).

After backup I want to check wether all folders have been copied completely and without errors. I want to tell DOpus to synchronise a set of 10 folders with 10 folders on the USB HDD which have the same name.

Is there any way to do this (i.e. batch sync?) without having to sync every single folder by hand?

Thanks a million,

Michael

You can use Collections to accomplish this. Create a new File Collection in DOpus, and add your folders as Sub collections. Then sync the Collection with the destination.

Dear MrC,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, this doesn't do the trick.

When I create two collections (one from the backup data on the USB drive, one from my original data on my HDD) and compare them, DOpus wants to copy all files from left to right and from right to left.

Any ideas why that is? Is there a way to fix this?

Your idea is good though - I didn't think of that so thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Michael

When I tested this out, it worked fine.

But now I'm finding some trouble with the synchronization engine. I'll post in a separate thread:

Synchronization bug?

and after the issue is resolved, I'll follow up here too.

Awesome and thanks for your help.

I'll follow the other thread, too but please post a solution in this forum as soon as you have one!

Thanks a lot,

Michael

Seems my earlier tests were incomplete. See Jon's reply in the thread linked above. Sorry for the bad advice.

No problem - any help is appreciated!

Any other ideas on the original problem:

I have an interal HDD, which I backup to a USB HDD using some backup software (personal backup - personal-backup.rathlev-home.de/ - freeware!).

After backup I want to check wether all folders have been copied completely and without errors. I want to tell DOpus to synchronise a set of 10 folders with 10 folders on the USB HDD which have the same name.

Is there any way to do this (i.e. batch sync?) without having to sync every single folder by hand?

Thanks a million,

Michael

You could create a new folder and below that create junctions or soft-links to each of the folders (from various places) which were copied to the USB drive.

Syncing that folder with the USB drive should give you what you want.

Thanks that seems to do the trick for me!

For anyone inteding to use this more often (like me) I'd suggest that you create a custom button in DOpus to do hardlinks!

Cheers!

Ok, this is a really old topic but it seems relevant to my question and I'd rather not create a new one.

I am thinking of a backup strategy and Photos are my priority. So, instead of manually copying the folders each time I plug in my external drive, I'd like to have Dopus copied the new photos to the external HDD. I know there are software out there that does this but since I have Dopus and it has this folder sync feature, why pay for extra software :slight_smile:

Is Dopus 12 synchronize folder a good option to occasionally backup my Photos library to external HDD?

Yes. A button with Copy UPDATEALL might work just as well or even better, especially if you want to use filters.

Thanks! Isn’t update all going to copy everything the next round, instead of incremental updates?

Only files that either do not exist in the destination, or do exist but are different from the source files, will be copied - other files will be skipped.

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Copy.htm

1 Like