Synchronization Transfers Files Currently in Destination Fol

I’m having problems with Synchronization transferring files currently in the destination folder, resulting in duplicates.

For example, I’m attempting to synchronize documents in the G: Bookmark Buddy Documents in one folder moved manually ok ok2 folder to the I:\AAZZ Sync\MyDocAAZZ folder. I ran Compare, and seemed to have too many transfers, so I used Find to check files currently in AAZZ and found a number of duplicates. One potential duplicate is the Bookmark Buddy – Adding Browsers file, which I selected because it is at the top of the list.

I’m using the long file names to keep track of synchronization. After the destination file size exceeded 10 MB, I started again. The file has not been moved manually.

Here is the file in the G: Bookmark Buddy Documents in one folder moved manually ok ok2 folder
[attachment=2]Clipboard Image (1) jpeg.jpg[/attachment]

Find indicates it is currently in a number of locations in the MyDocAAZZ folder, and most files have identical names, sizes, and Modified dates.[attachment=1]Clipboard Image(2)jpeg.jpg[/attachment]

Synchronization steps are shown below:
Notice that Synchronize will transfer Bookmark Buddy – Adding Browsers.doc to the destination folder even though duplicates exist.[attachment=0]Clipboard Image(3)jpeg.jpg[/attachment]

I’m asking about a relatively simple synchronization, but suppose the source folder contained many folders, sub-folders, and files, with some duplicate folders, sub-folders, and files as compared to the destination folder. How does synchronize handle this situation, assuming Synchronize sub-folder contents is enabled?

Jim

I'm having problems, either with my cable modem or something at DOPUS failing every few moments. I guess Save doesn't preserve the images. I'll try again
Jim

I’m having problems with Synchronization transferring files currently in the destination folder, resulting in duplicates.

For example, I’m attempting to synchronize documents in the G: Bookmark Buddy Documents in one folder moved manually ok ok2 folder to the I:\AAZZ Sync\MyDocAAZZ folder. I ran Compare, and seemed to have too many transfers, so I used Find to check files currently in AAZZ and found a number of duplicates. One potential duplicate is the Bookmark Buddy – Adding Browsers file, which I selected because it is at the top of the list.

I’m using the long file names to keep track of synchronization. After the destination file size exceeded 10 MB, I started again. The file has not been moved manually.

Here is the file in the G: Bookmark Buddy Documents in one folder moved manually ok ok2 folder:

Find indicates it is currently in a number of locations in the MyDocAAZZ folder, and most files have identical names, sizes, and Modified dates.

Synchronization steps are shown below:
Notice that Synchronize will transfer Bookmark Buddy – Adding Browsers.doc to the destination folder even though duplicates exist.

I’m asking about a relatively simple synchronization, but suppose the source folder contained many folders, sub-folders, and files, with some duplicate folders, sub-folders, and files as compared to the destination folder. How does synchronize handle this situation, assuming Synchronize sub-folder contents is enabled?

Jim

I think you've misunderstood what the sync tool does.

From the screenshots, the file you're copying is at the root of the source and is not at the root of the destination (it's in several sub-directories of the destination but those copies are irrelevant when deciding whether or not to copy a file at the root of the source).

Even if it was in the root of the destination, the sync may still copy the file if it thinks the source version is newer (or whatever the criteria involved are).