Syncronize collections with dropbox?

Hi,

I'd like to know if it's possible to change where collection files (.col) are stored, so that i can put them inside Dropbox, then we could share collections accross our different computers (we all use the exact same paths accross our computers)

The thing is i do not want to do something too hackish...

Is there an easy solution ?

Maybe it could be added to the advanced tabs of the preferences ?

(It's a shame Dropbox still doesn't support synching anything but it's one folder, as it would be useful for a lot of other things too.)

You could use junctions to diver the Opus config folder into the Dropbox folder.

Whether and how well it will work, I do not know; it is not a supported scenario that we have designed or tested for. You may find some (or all, or none of the) collections are cached in memory and that the synching has to happen when Opus is not running (even in the background).

I would not expect it to work very well, and collections are probably not the best tool for the job.

What is it you're aiming to do, at a higher level? Would folders containing shortcuts or symbolic links work better than collections for what you are doing?Or would libraries work better? The best solution will depend on the details.

Junctions are too hackish for my own taste, i've done things with junctions already and it is somehow quite complex...

Well, i think collections are THE best tool...

Collections are great... it's one of directory opus core feature and it would be even greater to be able to share them across computer...

it would not be simple to make the folder location editable ?

Making the location editable would not do anything junctions can't do already.

The real problem is the config files are not designed to be shared by multiple instances at once.

Collections are not a good fit for that use case. If you tell us what you're aiming to use them for in more detail, we can make better suggestions.

But that would be much easier for me :wink:, it would be part of the directory opus config file which we use on our computers... no need to have a junction utility, etc.

i get that but maybe i can try and give you some feedback that it works well for my case..

i will give you one very simple example/scenario : we work as a team on a brochure, my collegue is working with our customer to choose some pictures (which are saved in multiple locations on our dropbox), what we do now is that my collegue will copy complete paths into a txt file saved inside our project folder
i think it would be nice to be able just to copy those files into a collection, it is then easier to review them, to open them, to move them, etc.

Hi Leo,

I tried to use junctions with no luck. Basically to make it work properly, we would have to restart dopus on computers to see changes... seems like F5 does not reflect changes like i thought it would.

I think the ability to share collections would be a really really nice feature to have, maybe you can keep the idea somewhere in your head :wink:

I think:

• Letting us specify the location of the Collections Folder
  • and Refresh collection information anytime you add, remove items/collections
    Would do the trick

[quote]i will give you one very simple example/scenario : we work as a team on a brochure, my collegue is working with our customer to choose some pictures (which are saved in multiple locations on our dropbox), what we do now is that my collegue will copy complete paths into a txt file saved inside our project folder
i think it would be nice to be able just to copy those files into a collection, it is then easier to review them, to open them, to move them, etc.[/quote]
The best i could think of is to make a script that extracts the path inside the txt file and to create a temporary collection

Do you have an idea regarding this scenario ?

Thanks Nitrix

You can import and export collections manually already: External Manipulation of File Collections

But for what you are doing, you may be able to go with something even simpler: Would putting shortcuts into the Dropbox folder work? If the paths are consistent on different machines, that's often the easiest way to share a "list of files" between machines.

Yes, i'm working on it :wink:

We already do that (in fact it's much much simpler to use, we have an autohotkey script which enables us to open many project-based folder - when switching projects, shortcuts change)

Why file collections ? because IT IS file collections... it can bring together some/selected files from different folders (without duplicating files), you can then manipulate them as regular files... see thumbnails for pictures, etc.

This idea here is to use File collection across computers
What i've done so far is to automatically create/recreate a collection based on list of files (stored in a simple text file located in the dropbox and available accross computers) (with a simple button in our project manager)

This works perfectly.

Now the next step is to find the best way (how to do it and what is the ergonomy) to save the collection in dopus back into the text file.

I'm sure it could be done automatically using a dopus script which monitors any changes inside the collection, but i don't know how to do that. Any help or guidance appreciated :wink:

So for now, i will just try to do a button or external script to do that manually.

Hi folks!
Very nice job with Opus Leo & Co! It's the best file management software that we used in the last years!

Please help us: we face the same problem here: we use Dropbox to sync data on our computers and it would be fantastic to be able to sync the Collections (even to select witch ones) too.
Is there any way we can achieve that easy and automatically? (without exporting/importing .txt files)

Thank you!

Everything above still stands. Using junctions might work, if you want something automated, but isn't something we've tested ourselves.