Tab Groups

Hello Jon...

I don't want to sound ungrateful, by asking for more, when we've just received so much, and there is nothing NOT to like in what you've done already. Congratulations - it's impressive!

Maybe this is for the next release but one, but here goes...

I'd like the ability to specify named Tab Groups, which could be selected from a drop-down menu. A group of tabs would then be opened automatically, by selecting just one name from the list.

Options would include closing currently open tabs (or not), when opening a new group, and specifying a default group to be used when opening a lister.

There are at least two ways you could do this currently.

For example, a button with the following commands:

Go TABCLOSEALL
Go C:\
Go C:\1 NEWTAB
Go C:\2 NEWTAB
Go C:\3 NEWTAB

This button would would close all currently open tabs, read C:\ into the current file display, and then open three new tabs each showing a different folder.

Of course you could build up a drop-down menu of such buttons if you wish.

The other way is via the Styles system - you can configure styles that do nothing other than open a set of tabs, and you have the option of closing existing tabs first.

Thanks bspeight !
It really is a beautiful idea.

:opusicon: porcupine

After doing some testing - you can also do this another way:

Open whatever folders you want in tabs, arrange them how you want, and then save that display as a Layout. You could then re-use the provided 'Saved Layouts - Drop-Down' button on a toolbar.

thanks for the info everyone.

[quote]
jon wrote:
There are at least two ways you could do this currently.

For example, a button with the following commands:

Go TABCLOSEALL
Go C:\
Go C:\1 NEWTAB
Go C:\2 NEWTAB
Go C:\3 NEWTAB

This button would would close all currently open tabs, read C:\ into the current file display, and then open three new tabs each showing a different folder.

Of course you could build up a drop-down menu of such buttons if you wish.

The other way is via the Styles system - you can configure styles that do nothing other than open a set of tabs, and you have the option of closing existing tabs first.[/quote]

Thanks Jon...

The first solution is better for me, as I usually run a dual-display lister, and want to be able to able to select a group of tabs to be opened in one display or the other as required. I have it up and running.

Solutions based on styles or saved layouts (thanks for that, Steje) tend to be less flexible.