Tags and virtual folders

i dont think this is yet possible in dopus, but i am curious how receptive people are to the idea:

-a 'quicktag' interface that could enter and remove keywords from the metadata of files
-virtual folders that function similarly to auto-search playlists (like in foobar). they would automatically update themselves based on searches for keywords of files in a given directory.

why this would be awesome-- a million reasons. heres one that i am working with currently:
lets say i have a personal library of e-texts with overlapping themes and lengths (articles, books) and genres. using this system, i could organize it very simply by 'author, title' and then have any number of separate virtual folders that auto-refresh the search results on tags, giving me perfect sets of aliased files for quick viewing.

is this worth officially requesting? it doesnt seem that hard to implement. my other angle is trying to get pdf support for foobar. but i would much prefer to do it inside dopus.

i did some more research on the board, and basically what i want are 'dynamic collections'.
for tagging, using the descript.ion file seems just fine. but it is not nearly as useful without dynamic updates to search criteria.

Indexing tools like Google Desktop Search and the Microsoft equivalent might be a good way to get what you want.

They both integrates with Opus already to some degree, though I don't have any experience using them myself so I'm not sure how well they'll work for this.

hmmm.. i looked at google desktop, but it doesnt seem to do anything other than index and search. no 'virtual' or 'dynamic' folders of search results.

Do you need to be able to see changes happen in real time within a window, or do you just want to be able to go to a location and see the results without waiting for a lengthy search?

Others have been kicking around the same or similar idea with varying degrees of success.

You might also want to take a look at:

resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php ... b4df3dc31b
resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php ... ection+xml
resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

I'm sure there are several other threads in this forum that approach this fundamental concept using different names and different methodologies.

This sort of thing is possible within DOpus if you are willing to write a plugin. I've been experimenting with options that will allow this without the need to write a plugin at all.

[quote="nudel"]Indexing tools like Google Desktop Search and the Microsoft equivalent might be a good way to get what you want.

They both integrates with Opus already to some degree, though I don't have any experience using them myself so I'm not sure how well they'll work for this.[/quote]

Hi! I´d agree with sinthome, since it would be nice to be able to apply some tag words in files or folders.

Regarding your idea, i must say that i dislike installing so called desktop searches, specially from such data collectors like Google. :wink:

You dislike the way the products work, or the companies behind them? (Or both?)

You dislike the way the products work, or the companies behind them? (Or both?)[/quote]

Well, i use Google for searching the web, so far,, no problem about that. But there is a lot of chat out there regarding Googles privacy policy. They´re doing lots of strange cookie stuff & data mining. Maybe the concerns are somewhat exaggerated by some, but who knows?

Then rather i would use the Microsoft desktop search. On the other hand, Dopus´ search function is quite fast, plus i use ac'tivaid, which is a collection of various very handy scripts based on Autohotkey, capable of indexing selected drives or folders, file types etc, providing a search option similar to that of OS X (spotlight).

i am not sure what 'real time' means. i would like the search results to appear in a folder within a normal directory tree, without ever having to open the search pane. imagine a regular folder in 'my documents' called 'e-texts'. inside there would be all of my e-texts organized by author. but in addition i would see some folders (virtual) that organized the authors according to the keywords entered in the descript.ion file. lets say i have one virtual folder labeled 'phenomenology' open in one lister. its search criterion is any pdf containing the description 'phenomenology'. let's say i see a pdf in it that i no longer want to have that keyword in the description. so i select it and delete 'phenomenology' from its description. when i refresh the view, this file shoudl disappear from the virtual folder. is this 'real time'? i dunno. but any siuggestions on how to make it happen would be wonderful.

i dont like google as a company due to privacy concerns. i also thinkg the google desktop is bloated and not so useful for my needs. but i would use it if it could save searches as virtual folders. from everything iv ahve read, though, i cannot do this.... not sure why it would help achieve my goal whatsoever....

it seems like search results in the 'find window' have a live update in 'real time'. the very second i delete a file that should be in the search results, it disappears from the find window. but the other options (collection or output window) do not do this. i wonder what could be so hard about adding this functionality to the others? :confused:

Collections notice and update themselves when items are deleted -- and maybe renamed, not sure about that -- but that's it. If you searched for files matching a* and then, afterwards, created a new file called AAA.txt then it's not going to automatically appear in the collection.

You should be able to make a button which runs a search and shows you the results from a single click, though. That's not quite the same as a virtual folder or "live" search results, but it's often just as good. Depends whether you want to have an open window sitting on screen, showing the results of a search and updating as files change to meet (or no longer meet) the search criteria (Opus can't do that right now, at least without help from other tools), or whether you just want a convenient way to click something and see the current results of that search without faffing about with lots of dialogs (Opus should be able to do that fine).