Tercopy vs DOPUS 10 speed

Hello,
couldn't find a similar thread (though please redirect me if there is one).

Is the new dopus 10 copy queue faster than teracopy?

I've heard there are problems when copying a large amount of files with dopus 10 (buffer size setting?)

Thanks

Bart

Yesterday i had copied appox 1TB with DOpus10 from (source sATA RAID drive, destination ultra fast sATA WB Black editon, both small and large files), and average speed was about 110MB/s. With same configuration, two weeks ago, with DOpus9 I had about 85MB/s and with TeraCopy speed was about the same as DOpus10. So, I decided not to use TeraCopy anymore, DOpus10 is great fro copy operation from what I have seen so far.

Opus may copy slower if there are lots of small files and you have Opus set to copy file attributes, metadata etc. which other programs don't (since it takes time to update them, which adds up to a lot with many small files but is usually overshadowed by copying the actual data in normal cases).

You can configure which attributes Opus copies via Preferences - File Operations.

In the past people have done speed comparisons and found Opus the same speed or faster than TeraCopy, once they ensured it was a fair test. I doubt there is any real difference between the two as they're both mostly dependent on how fast the hardware can read/write.

Buffer-size can come into play with some USB devices but usually doesn't matter.

From everything I've read about TeraCopy (I've never used it - but I did some research) and you're talking about speeds of 10-15% improvement at best. I'll take Dopus' interface over that 10% (if it IS true) :slight_smile:

People did a bunch of speed comparisons in this thread and found Opus was faster sometimes, and TeraCopy faster some other times. I doubt there is any real difference between the two except when either program's particular method of copying sizes (or default buffer sizes etc.) triggers a pathological case with your hardware/drivers (e.g. some USB devices run really slow unless the copy buffer is set quite small in Opus).

That's really why I'm asking.
A 10-15% speed difference when copying 50 gigs worth of data is a significant amount.

Cheers, guys.