Text and icons really small in dopus

Hi,

I am using windows 7 and I decided to take my screen icons from 125% to 100% to see how it looked (right click desktop, personalize, display).

Everything was a bit too small so I changed it back to the default 125% again. Now everything in dopus looks really small even though I have tried resetting the icon size a few times, and I've also tried switching the screen resolution to see if this shocks dopus back into normality.

Everything is back to normal in windows explorer though - but obviously I don't want to use explorer.

Has anybody else experienced this and if so how did you fix it please.

Have you tried restarting since changing the setting?

(BTW, the default size is 100%, at least for me on this machine. Maybe the default varies with the monitor's reported DPI. I'll check next time I'm using my laptop.)

FWIW, I've noticed that Windows seems to randomly (not sure what the trigger is) run Opus as if it is DPI aware (no scaling applied to its windows) sometimes, and at other times as if it isn't DPI aware (scaling applied to its windows, so they go larger and blurry if Windows is set to a high DPI mode). Opus isn't currently DPI aware so it should always get scaling applied if anything other than 100% is chosen for Windows, but somehow that doesn't always happen. Seems like a bug in Windows itself to me. I've not had a chance to investigate further, though the real plan is to make Opus fully DPI aware so it should become a non-issue.)

Been back on the laptop for a while now and it's still the same. I'm not sure any more whether this is just the way dopus should look on a 1920 px laptop screen, or if it changed after I changed the desktop magnification.

All i know is the icons and text are harder to read than explorer.

Forgot to mention that I have rebooted since I posted original message. Multiple times.

You can always change the font sizes in Opus's Preferences window, while toolbar icon sizes can be changed in Opus's Customize window.

Not sure about file icon sizes; I think they come from what the OS reports.

[quote="leo"]You can always change the font sizes in Opus's Preferences window, while toolbar icon sizes can be changed in Opus's Customize window.

Not sure about file icon sizes; I think they come from what the OS reports.[/quote]

I'll give that a try. I didn't know about the font size setting as there are so many options in dopus.

Many thanks.

Hello nelphant,
Just a thought here to consider.
It's very possible that this is the Wrong Answer !

The differences between visual sharpness or focus, and font size in the default view of explorer and default view of DOpus really aren't very much.
The default background of a DOpus lister could perhaps contribute to a decrease in visual quality.
The white background of explorer has more contrast than the default blue-grey dopus default of filenames.

It's a difficult thing to admit I know, but an eye exam may be very helpful.
A few years ago was tinkering with a one line rename challenge from Paris France ( on this forum ).
I kind of had an idea of a solution.
Time was short and it was time for me to leave for my workplace ( no internet allowed ).
I posted what I had at the time thinking that it resulted in the exact correct answer ( subject to review ) .
When I got home, I found that Leo had dug into it abit.
It really produced the correct answer with TWO space characters instead on one.
It was an embarrassment, but all turned out well as I then rethought the problem and saw the light !
(hmmm ... perhaps I could contribute to a FAQ on this .... winter project ... )

I wore glasses from early childhood until I was 7 or 8.
After that I never needed them again ( until now ).
I had Eagle Vision up until about two years ago ....
I got an eye exam this spring. It was tough ... but things are improving now.

I just Hate the Magnification these people introduce into these lens prescriptions !
I've had a University Physics class in Optics, but it's been a while.
I know that thick lenses can fix this properly.
Arrggg...

Well, my distance vision is stiil pretty good.

Are you sure it's a Windows - DOpus thing causing this ????
Perhaps a screnshot ??

Luck,
Dave

[quote="Scred"]Hello nelphant,
Just a thought here to consider.
It's very possible that this is the Wrong Answer !

.... quote cut to a sensible length ....

Are you sure it's a Windows - DOpus thing causing this ????
Perhaps a screnshot ??

Luck,
Dave[/quote]

20/20 for sure. For which I am grateful.

Anyway, a screenshot is a good idea. This was taken with snagit on my laptop. See what you think.

Forum is cutting half the image off (nearly anyway), but download it and you'll see it all. As you can see dopus is harder to read.

It's hard to tell exactly what's going on (e.g. whether Opus's window is being scaled by the Windows high DPI stuff or not) when the screenshot itself has been scaled down.

Whatever the details are, though, you can increase the font sizes of everything shown there via Opus's Preferences. So whatever is causing it, that should solve it.

Here is a comparative shot. This was taken on my desktop (2560 pixel monitor so excuse how wide the image is).

As you will see dopus is as clear as explorer.

[quote="leo"]It's hard to tell exactly what's going on (e.g. whether Opus's window is being scaled by the Windows high DPI stuff or not) when the screenshot itself has been scaled down.

Whatever the details are, though, you can increase the font sizes of everything shown there via Opus's Preferences. So whatever is causing it, that should solve it.[/quote]

I'll give that a shot. But I do know that something happened when I experimented with the dpi settings (really wish I hadn't now - it was as normal before).

Leo,

Thanks for the advice. whatever happened when I changed the dpi and then changed it back, it doesn't matter much now. Upped the font size by one point and dopus is viewable again.

Many thanks :smiley:

Try to set "DPI XP-Style" mode in Windows.
Screen Property->Custom DPI settings->use "DPI XP-Style".

OR If this don't work try this:

right click in Dopus.exe-> Property->Compatibility tab->Disable screen resize for high DPI.