The Search Box is not workiing

I have not touched the SETTINGS for a while.
All of a sudden, the Search box accepts search strings but does not find any files.
Example: I enter *.pdf or any file name I know exists. I get not hits.

Even the CONTROL F lower box of search options is not working.

Am I missing something?
Thanks

Please show some example screenshots of what you're searching for and some files that should be matched but aren't.

Does doing the same search from the same place in File Explorer give different results?

Hi Leo
As usual, i restarted my PC and the problem disappeared.

Here is a captured when I had the problem:

DOPUS Search Error

And one after rebooting.

The capture shows the problem by an entry in the Search box (top right hand corner) saying *.pdf and showing no hits in the list although I am certain there are PDF files.

Thanks a lot

You're searching in two different folders in the two screenshots.

OK ... it has happened again (after a second reboot).
Here is a movie. First with DOPUS and around 00:23 seconds, Windows Explorer.
Same folder (00. DO-NOW).
Hope this can help
Al

Try filename:happy or filename:monthly as the search, or waiting longer. Does that bring back results?

In File Explorer, just typing a word into the search box will do a name and content search if the location is indexed, and only a name search if it isn't. In Opus, it always does a name and content search unless you explicitly say you only want a filename search. Searching the content of all the files can take much longer.

It is not working.
I never used "filename" before and it worked simply by entering a text word even with wild cards.
The hint you should get: it worked for a while after a rebooted.

Thanks

It sounds like Windows Search stops returning results when we ask for them, which is odd.

But you mentioned Tools > Find Files also went wrong? That uses only Opus's internal functionality and should be a lot more robust as a result. Could you show us that going wrong? Maybe it will reveal something about both issues.

Sure .. give me till tomorrow as it is late at night now. I will show you a whole sequence.

Thanks for your patience.

Hi LEO
This is a better movie. Maybe I did not follow clear steps below. Here is what happens

1. I select a folder and use the find box (top right hand corner) in DOPUS. IT does not have any hit.
  2. I select the folder again (which I was not doing before) and try TOOLS / FIND (or Control F). It works well.
  3. I navigate to Windows Explorer, select the folder and use Control F. It works well.

I hope this can give you an idea.
Please keep in mind that I have not touched the SETTINGS for a long time so maybe some defaults were changed with a recent update.

All the best and many thanks

In the video I noticed there are two results folders in the tree, which isn't meant to happen:

If you click on the other one, have the results ended up in there?

Are you using the latest version of Opus? (12.19, or 12.19.3 if on the beta versions)

HI again

1. I am using 12.19 ...
  2. I do not know why two lines appeared ... I tried the same folder now. Once for EXCEL and once for DATA. No results. On the tree side, only one "Search Results ...." was shown.

Thanks

Friends: any thoughts on this problem?
THanks

I'm not sure. It sounds like Windows Search isn't working properly, at least when called via Opus.

I would use Tools > Find Files instead as a workaround.

The field box is so much easier.
Anyhow, how come it just stopped around 10 days ago?
Could it be a silly Microsoft update?
Thanks

I don't know. We call on Windows Search but we didn't write it and don't know what Microsoft are doing to it on different systems. 12.19 is older than 10 days, so whatever changed wasn't Opus, unless you only installed the update more recently.

FWIW, Windows Search was completely broken in File Explorer as well until a recent Windows 10 update. Microsoft's quality control is non-existent these days. (Literally. They shut down the entire QA team a few years ago.)

On my Laptop running Window 10 1909 build 18363.592 DOpus 12.19B4
Using search even if I am in the folder and searching for a file in the folder that I know is there does not find anything.
I have one folder that has been Indexed with Windows Indexer and Search works in that folder.
So I tried Indexing a couple of small folders that Search did not work in and Seach now works in those folders

Using File Explorer Search works in any folder.

On my Laptop running Window 10 Insider build 19551 DOpus 12.19B4 both latest builds
Using search works on any drive indexed or not.

On my Laptop running Window 10 1909 build 18363.592 DOpus 12.19B4
When in the root of a large drive NOT Indexed and you do a Search the lister changes to Search Results for Drive Letter but no message saying Drive not indexed and may take a long time.
On my Laptop running Window 10 Insider build 19551 DOpus 12.19B4 both latest builds
When in the root of a large drive NOT Indexed and you do a Search the lister changes to Search Results for Drive Letter and you get a message saying Drive not indexed and may take a long time.

So it appears that it is windows that is causing the problem, but why does Search work on Indexed Drives or folders but not on non indexed.

Thanks ONEDOT3. I am still on Windows 1809 since I had a few problems when I updated to 1909. Hopefully, a stable update will be issued soon.

I am now trying the automatic indexing (in the Control Panel) --- just to check if it takes a long time.

Thanks a lot

Not working for me either. It's very strange. It works for dynamic disks but not otherwise. I reverted to version 12.4 as a test and that works fine, so it is not a Windows issue as such.

Version 12.19 beta 4:

Version 12.4

We didn't change anything related to Windows search. Maybe related to this:

https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/05/windows-10-search-down-microsoft-outage