There was a rumour about Microsoft's plans

Recently i've read, that Microsoft allegedly has plans to allow only applications from their own app store, making it impossible to install any older software from other sources :fearful:. It sounded almost unbelievable to me. Their claim was, to make software more secure, but i think it would be some fatal own goal. Did anyone here catch, what they really plan? Sounds just too foolish to me. :unamused:

It's just a Windows setting people can turn on if they want to restrict it to only using Store apps, but I don't know why anyone in their right mind would do so.

1 Like

Good to read that. Some Linux guys :wink: were already making jokes about how restricted that would be, Actually, it would drive millions of users away from Windows, if it was mandatory. So, you're right. Noone with a clear mind would cut themselves off from choice of freedom.

Maybe the question for @Greg? Do you have any plans to offer Opus via the Store?

@abr: some Linux guys must type password at almost every action, so making jokes is the only way they can have some fun. :slight_smile:

@peterb: Yes, but at least they are secure! :laughing: :wink:

This seems to be a recent change since the App Store was only for Metro apps (AFAIK) until just recently. The new scheme seems to involve putting a MS wrapper around our install and we have strenuously resisted using Third Party wrappers for years, even though we would make money out of it, the concept devalues the product and adds extra cr*p and dangers for our users. It's perhaps something we may look at in the future although I'm not sure if giving Microsoft 30-40% of each sale is beneficial. :slight_smile:

That much? Then, in order to pays off you would either need to at least double your sells or increase the price of course. But, IMHO this is still a rip-off. I don't remember how much Apple and Google are taking through their stores, but I think both are lot lower than this.