Thumbnails for subdirectories (in music collection)

hola everybody, a quick lil question about thumbnails:

While browsing my music folder in thumbnail mode ye olde windows explorer would show:

A: folder.jpg covering the whole "folder" when available
or
B: up to 4 small pictures of the folder.jpg's in the subfolders of said folder

As my music is structured as Artist\Album (when more than 1 album) and "Artist-Album" (when only 1 album) this was very nice, and I would like to get the same result using DO8 rather than just seing yellow folders for all artist with more than one album when browsing the main music folder.

Hopefully this was clear enough, although I'm not quite sure :slight_smile: - do ask and I'll try to be more excact.. any replies will be very much appreciated!

I didn't know that Explorer did this before but I agree it would be cool for Opus to do the same.

It looks like these "recursive folder thumbs" (i.e. folder thumbnails which themselves contain 4 folder thumbnails) only happen when the sub-folders have a folder.jpg. In other words, if the sub-folders' own thumbnails contain 4-images, instead of a single folder.jpg image, then they won't be included in the parent folder's thumbnail.

Hello,
Yes, I know I hae when the only thing someone has to say is it works fine for me, but here is my one and only.. It works fine for me. lOl

Any ways, I have actual jpg's of the "albume" or cd covers included in my directories. By the way, I also sort by genre, artist and albume.

When viewing in thumbnail view I get the 1 and upto 4 icons on the thumb.

In my preferences, I have the following settings:
pref> folders> options: check, enable folder type detection
I also have a command that I learned how to do here which puts a button on your toolbar and gives you the ablity to change thumbnails size and such on the fly.. Sorry, I've searched and I can not find the article or remember how I did it.
Maybe someone here can point you to that.

in general, it seems that if you check the above pref and in your lister set folder type (bottom right) to it seems to work. If you want to change the information displayed about the folder when set to none that can be done in the pref place as above under > file format.

Found the Article:

[url]Thumbnails Toolbar]

Good luck.

Landis

Opus will display up to 4 of the images in a folder in the folder's thumbnail, but it won't display any of the sub-folders of the folder in the thumbnail, which is what I think pa2k is asking for and something that Explorer does (in some situations).

This is probably easier to say with a picture than all this talk of sub-folder folder.jpg folder thumbnails folder folder folder fodder: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

[quote="nudel"]Opus will display up to 4 of the images in a folder in the folder's thumbnail, but it won't display any of the sub-folders of the folder in the thumbnail, which is what I think pa2k is asking for and something that Explorer does (in some situations).

This is probably easier to say with a picture than all this talk of sub-folder folder.jpg folder thumbnails folder folder folder fodder: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:[/quote]

Excactly - both regarding what I'm asking for and re: the illustration :wink:

Of course one way to get the job done would be to keep a copy of the images in the ARTIST folder as well as in the ALBUM folders, but IMO that's too crude.. although I'm not very familiar with DOpus yet I'm guessing there must be a more elegant way - any ideas?

You could possibly make a button which automates the copying but it'd be a bit of a hack and you'd have messy files all over the place.

I'd send GPSoft a feature request and see what they think of the idea.

God can we finally replace that aweful yellow folder ? :frowning:

Don't ask me, I just answer questions here. :slight_smile:

I'd send GPSoft a feature request and see what they think of the idea.

Any news on this? I would really love to have something similar to what WMP 11 shows.

I made a quick mock up.

What do you think?

I quite like the way WMP 11 displays folders as well.

(Don't forget to file a feature request.)