Thumbnails Problems

hello, just found out about opus n i need help with thumbnails.

im a power user n illustrator that has thousands of images on a folder. i need each folder to load thumbnails once n not flicker or reload in any way. i chose 64x64 as it offers the most real state, but in my main folder, which has 20K images, at first thumbnails load fine but when i go from the bottom of the folder to the top (for example), with the scroll bar, thumbnails reload...

is there any way or setting that can fix this? 64 pixel thumbnails shouldnt be a problem to load n store, n should not need any reload or flickering, even with 20K images or more...

i just want all the thumbnails of my computer to load once, and each time i open the same folder, the thumbnails r loaded n dont flicker. same for when i restart the computer... they shouldnt need to reload. i dont care if i end up having a 5GB or 10GB thumbnail cache file, i want n need that stability n reliability for my work.

another problem i have, althou i guess there is some option that addresses this, i need folder sorting options to autosave, as in, if i set a folder to be sorted by descending date modified + biggest thumbnails + whatever else, for that folder to remember that setting every time i open it, so i dont need to sort it again...

hope u can help with these! i had many problems with windows explorer n would love for opus to finally put me out of my misery

If you open the folder with the thumbnails in a seperate tab then after they have populated once they do not repopulate every time you switch to the tab, it is instant.

not the case for folder with over 10K images, like i said. when i go down or up in that folder the thumbnails flicker/reload...

Opus 12: Preferences / File Display Modes / Thumbnails / Load all thumbnails in a folder automatically

Opus 13: Preferences / File Display Modes / Thumbnails / Performance / Start loading thumbnails before they become visible

Alternatively, if you want different settings in different folders: Auto-load Thumbnails only in specific folders

1 Like

sadly the 20K images folder still reloads n makes the thumbnails flicker after it loaded em all, even after activating that option you indicated. windows explorer is able to load this folder without making the thumbnail reload afterwards, or making them flicker when scrolling. i really expected opus to match this and add to it, not to fall short... i can send a video of the issue if you need. i think this may be the only thing opus is lacking. i tested it n opus starts choking at 10K-something images, bellow that the thumbnails remain loaded no matter how u scroll. and thumbnail or file size doesnt seem to be a factor.

the problem with windows explorer is that windows itself autodeletes all thumbnail cache unexpectedly from time to time, which is a nightmare for my productivity. but as of now, opus stops working correctly at 10K-something images, which windows explorer can actually handle.

maybe opus has some kind of cap that makes it unable to behave the same way when there is a bit more than 10K images?

Have you tried increasing the cache in Preferences/File Display Modes/Thumbnails/Performance? (Opus 13)

1 Like

There’s a limit on how much memory will be used for thumbnails for each folder, as it can add up to a huge amount and potentially cause performance issues across the whole machine.

20,000 files of a type that takes a long time to thumbnail, all in one folder, may not be the best way to do things.

1 Like

im trying it out in opus 12, does the performance option allow to increase ram usage by folder, or something similar?

I had no problems with 15,000 photos opened in dopus 13 beta in single folder. Only running dopus 13 beta, microsoft edge, and affinity designer programs.

ah, so it was a cap. can you add an option to increase the memory limit? that would be perfect.

i saw you can choose the limit for the size of the thumbnail cache, i was delighted to see it goes up to 900GB. something like that for the memory limit would solve all the problems i had, and that way every user can choose their limit to match their machine. mine has memory to spare, and if i want to use it for something its for this.

20K images in a folder works ok in windows explorer, if only the thumbnails didnt get deleted. i tried opus with 13K, 10K, 8K and 5K images folders to test and the same issue happens in all of em. i dont think those numbers are that odd nowadays.

I don't know about Opus 12, I'm on 13. In 13 it's the cache for, I guess, all thumbnails.

See here

1 Like

do you mean, no problems regarding memory usage?

Yes, I don't have any problems regarding memory usage. In fact, I prefer Dopus 13 to display thumbnails rather than Explorer. Dopus 13 is faster at displaying folder thumbnails than explorer.

1 Like

then, i hope they increase the memory limit or give an option to choose the limit, or not have a limit at all

Maybe you should try dopus 13 beta.

1 Like

i tried it but it works exactly the same as opus 12 regarding this issue. no matter the memory you have, opus has a cap for memory usage by folder, so thumbnail cache gets reloaded n flickers when is more than about 3K images. if this option isnt inlcuded, changing the limit of memory usage by folder, i wont be able to use opus as a file manager...

Just tried a collection with almost 6,000 images, no flickering here. So it might be a specific issue, rather than a general one. File sizes here are all around 10-15MB.

I'm sure the problem is not on the dopus side. I have a large collection of textures ranging from 2k to 8k and no problems at all, no flickering, no slowness, everything runs smoothly.

2023-12-31_190905

here is a video of the issue in real time: https://youtu.be/ppmFhuv01uI

at 1:23 the reloading/flickering/memory limit happens. i cant use opus if the issue remains. i also recorded the same folder in windows explorer, which works seamlessly after the thumbnails are loaded. it really is an issue with opus in itself (both beta 13 and 12).

before that time, i load the thumbnails, it does goes faster than windows explorer to the point of being near perfect loading, as you said.. but the problem is what happens after they were loaded. the ideal behaviour would be that, after a thumbnail is loaded, it never loads again until u delete it, or if you go over your cache size limit and its deleted automatically.

just shared a video of the issue in real time above. it is an opus issue, as windows explorer doesnt have a problem with scrolling through the exact same folder's thumbnails