Toggle Preference Setting

Is it possible to assign a button/hotkey to toggle a Preference Setting check box ?

Depends on the setting.

Windows Integration>Hide Windows items on the file context menus (shift overrides)

You can't toggle that one via a command.

You can move the hidden items into a sub-menu, or just hold shift, to access them when needed while keeping them out of the way most of the time.

An alternative (maybe better) approach would be to toggle what shift does based on setting of the preference

if (hide_windows_items) { if (context_menu_request_shifted) Display context_menu(all_items); else Display context_menu(opus_items_only); } else { if (context_menu_request_shifted) Display context_menu(opus_items_only); else Display context_menu(all_items); }

Isn't that how it works already?

With the option off, Shift shows the "extended" context menu (which is defined by the context menu extensions themselves).

(It does when it's on as well, which can cause a problem if you want to hide things by default and then use shift to access an item which is also hidden when the extended menu is requested, but that is very rare. The extended menu is usually a superset, but not quite always. However, moving the hidden items into a submenu that you can access without holding shift will solve that.)

Setting = Windows Integration>Hide Windows items on the file context menus (shift overrides)

1. When I have Setting off, then MenuKey or RightClick shows the CombinedMenu
  2. When I have Setting off, then Shift/MenuKey or Shift/Right Click shows the CombinedMenu
  3. When I have Setting on, then MenuKey, or RightClick shows the OpusSubset
  4. When I have Setting on, then Shift/MenuKey, or Shift/Right Click shows the CombinedMenu

I would prefer condition 2 to show the OpusSubset

Thanks BR

Then you couldn't access extended menu items at all when the option was off.

I know you believe you understood what you think I wrote, but I am not sure you realize what you read is not what I wrote :laughing:

With setting ON it works as expected and as documented. On folders I get a 9 item abridged menu with right click, and 30+ item extended menu with Shift/RightClick . :thumbsup:

With the Setting OFF I get the extended menu irrespective of whether the shift key is pressed or not pressed :frowning: The manual does not explicitly define what I should expect in this circumstance :neutral_face:

However what I would like, is that with the Setting OFF that I get the abridged menu if I do a Shift/RightClick :sunglasses:

Thanks BR

No, you get the full (normal) menu. With the shift key held you get the extended menu. Whether or not the normal and extended menus are any different depends on what context menu extensions you have installed, but the potential for them to be different is there.

@jon - I have Windows Integration->Hide Windows items on the file context menus (shift overrides) unchecked - its what works best for me - now.

When I press RightClick I get the extended menu. When I press Shift/RightClick I get the SAME extended menu. But what I would like, is that I get what I get with an UNSHIFTED RightClick when the Setting is checked (ON) - a short menu - what I've referred to as an abridged menu.

Is there any chance of making that enhancement in a future release.

Thanks BR

I do not think you have understood what the extended menu is; perhaps we did not explain it well enough. Or, to put it as you did, I read what you wrote but what you wrote may not have been what you thought you wrote.

Have a look at the menu you get in Windows Explorer when you do & don't hold shift down.

When you don't hold shift in Explorer, you'll see most of the menu items. That's the normal menu.

When you hold shift in Explorer, you'll see all (or almost all) of the same items, plus some extra ones for more esoteric functions. That's the extended menu.

If you don't see any difference between the two menus in Explorer then try right-clicking something else. Not all filetypes have extra things in their extended menus. (What's there is up to the shell extensions installed on your system.)

In Explorer:
[ul][li]The normal menu is displayed when you right-click.[/li]
[li]The extended menu is displayed when you shift + right-click.[/li][/ul]

In Opus, with Hide Windows items on the file context menus off (the default), it is the same as Explorer:
[ul][li]The normal menu is displayed when you right-click.[/li]

In Opus, if you then turn on Hide Windows items on the file context menus:
[ul][li]A cut-down menu, with just the items defined by Opus itself, is displayed when you right-click.[/li]

Thanks leo, 'extended' was causing the misunderstanding. I hadn't registered a name for the shifted windows menu, other than shifted windows menu - but I acknowledge that it is commonly known as the Extended...

So back to the original question - any chance of making the Hide Windows items setting accessible via a command, so I can toggle it at will.

It would make my task of replicating the Shelltoys submenus with Opus submenus a bit less tedious.

Thanks BR

I'm still not clear on why you'd want to toggle the option on and off all the time, rather than put the menu items you want in the menu and move the ones you don't often want into a sub-menu (or access them via the shift key, instead of toggling the option and then opening the menu).

Have you seen this? Tip: Organise and Speed-Up Context Menus

[quote="leo"]I'm still not clear on why you'd want to toggle the option on and off all the time, rather than put the menu items you want in the menu and move the ones you don't often want into a sub-menu (or access them via the shift key, instead of toggling the option and then opening the menu).

Have you seen this? Tip: Organise and Speed-Up Context Menus[/quote]
Yes I've seen the Tip, and I have printed it and it's clipped to the document holder in front of me.

As I do the customisation, I find I want to look at the menu with the Hide option set and then go back to having it off. Doesn't matter now - I run an Explorer Window alongside Opus (hide setting On) and flip back and forth.

Its a pity that Opus only 'recognises' static items from programs like VLC & BS media players. I found the items you see in FolderMisc (see attachment) in the FilesTypes->Directory Opus File Types->All Folders, I did not knowingly put them there, so I assume they came with 'the package'. But the only way I can see the items (with Hide set on) is to create a submenu and move them into it. I would actually like Browse with Maxview and Locate... in the main menu.

Are there any plans to do something similar for in-process COM objects, as is done for static items. Most (all ?) of my important context menu gadgets are in-process COM objects.

I'm starting to think its not worth the effort of trying to recreate what I had. I might just use Nirsoft's gadgets to block the things I 'rarely' use and live with a reduced unhidden menu Windows Menu. I am very selective with what context menu items I allow programs to register - so there is not much there that I never use.

Thanks BR