Toolbar naming conflict when updating Opus 9 to Opus 10

This may be just FYI, but I get the impression installing 10 over 9 or installing 10 clean and then restoring a 9 configuration is supposed to leave one with both the new and old toolbars available.

10 seems to, by default have a Drives toolbar which, by default, is not enabled.

If I install 10 over 9, the result is the default 10 toolbars enabled and the 9 toolbars available, but disabled. I think this is what's supposed to happen.

If I install 10 clean and then restore a 9 configuration, the result is the 10 toolbars available, but disabled and the 9 toolbars available enabled or disabled as they were when the configruation backup was created. This is probably also what is supposed to happen.

The glitch is that in both of the above scenarios my old Drives toolbar has replaced the Drives toolbar supplied with 10 making that toolbar no longer available. I don't know whether or not I should expect anything else, but if I had just installed 10 over 9, I would never have known that 10 had a Drives toolbar by default.

I don't remember for sure, but it seems like when 9 was installed over 8, the old toolobars had (2) appended to their name.

The old and new drives toolbars ain't that different; you're not missing much eithet way. :slight_smile:

Yes, but what if I had for some reason created a toolbar named Operations in Opus 9?

Then your existing Operations toolbar would have been renamed to Operations (1).

True. I created a useless Operations toolbar to test. However, the same is not true for Drives as I originally stated. The new Drives toolbar is replaced by whatever Drives toolbar I had and there is no Drives(1).

Now if I take that result and restore the Opus 9 configuration into it, admittedly maybe a silly thing to do, the Location and Menu toolbars remain available, but the Operations toolbar gets completely overwritten by the Operations toolbar from Opus 9. The Opus 10 Operations toolbar s no longer available.

In a more sensible scenario, if I install 10 clean and then restore my made up 9 configuration, the result is the same, namely Location and Menu available, Operations overwritten.

Whether this is a problem or not, I'm not sure, but I thought that installing 10 over 9 and restoring a 9 configuration into a cleanly installed 10 are supposed to produce the same results. Clearly they don't.

And Drives still seems to be a special case. As Leo said, the default versions of Drives may not be much different, but I could have anything called Drives in Opus 9.

One thing about the Drives toolbar: The installer will update the copy in /dopusglobaldata/Buttons. If you are using a private configuration (instead of shared; private is the default) then you'd normally have a private copy of the Drives toolbar made...

(I can't remember if it's made the first time you start using Opus under your account or the first time you edit the toolbar, but you'll have a private copy of it, either way.)

I might be wrong but I don't think the installer would ever update your private copy, and it didn't seem to have when I checked. (But I only looked at it in passing while doing something else.)

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that you may have the new drives toolbar in /dopusglobaldata (the shared config area) and the old drives toolbar in /dopusdata (your private config). That might explain the difference, and/or why you didn't see the new Drives toolbar.

Regarding the default toolbars, it's not an issue if a config-import overwrites them. You can always get the defaults back instantly via the Reset to Defaults option in the toolbar right-click menu. (There's one which resets individual toolbars and another which resets all three default toolbars, turns them on, and any other toolbars off.)

I don't think I've ever used private configuration files though it's possible I could have forgotten.

Anyway, in Opus 9, /dopusdata resolves to C:\ProgramData\GPSoftware\Directory Opus and this contains a Buttons folder containing a Drives.dop presumably corresponding to the active Drives toolbar.

/dopusglobaldata also resolves to C:\ProgramData\GPSoftware\Directory Opus.

/dopuslocaldata resolves to C:\Users\Bob Coleman\AppData\Local\GPSoftware\Directory Opus which does not contain any Buttons folder.

Dose this confirm that I'm not using a private configuration?

Now, I just installed Opus 10.0.0.2 over the described Opus 9.

/dopuslocaldata (C:\Users\Bob Coleman\AppData\Local\GPSoftware\Directory Opus) still does not contain Buttons.

/dopusdata and /dopusglobaldata (both resolving to C:\ProgramData\GPSoftware\Directory Opus) do contain a Buttons folder. This folder contains a Drives.dop with a modification date arlier than today. The Buttons folder does not contain a Drives(1).dop.

The Drives toolbar available via Customization is definitely the one I had in Opus 9. As far as I can see the default Drives toolbar from Opus 10 is nowhere to be found.

Please note that I'm well past this actually being an issue for me. I'm just trying to establish that for Drives (only, I think), the replacing of the Opus 9 toolbar while keeping that toolbar available for reactivation doesn't happen as intended. It is available for reactivation, but the Opus 10 version is not available.

The problem here, if there is one, is that the supplied Opus 10 Drives toolbar has been lost in a way that I don't think is intended.

The global config always exists even if it's not what you actually use. Whenever a new account starts using a private config it is initialised with a copy of the global config.

I think the installer only overwrites the global config's drives.dop, so any account that already has its own private config will be unaffected.

The internal default toolbars are different and inside Opus, not .dop files put there by the installer. The drives toolbar isn't really a default toolbar; it's a sample toolbar put there by the installer.

OK, but I don't have a private config.

But the point, or at least part of the point, is that the installer did NOT overwrite the global config's drives.dop.

OK, maybe this is a key point though certainly not an obvious one. I assumed that any toolbar available in a clean install of Opus 10 is a default toolbar. If that's not the case, it's possible that what I'm claiming is unique to the Drives toolbar may actually apply to any toolbar that is not a "default toolbar".

Are Location, Menu, and Operations the only things defined as default toolbars?

Them and the context menus, I think.

Them and the context menus, I think.[/quote]

OK, with that understanding of the meaning of "default toolbars", this whole subject finally becomes clear.

In a cleanly installed Opus 10, the following toolbars are available, but not all enabled:

[ul]
Operations
Applications
Drives
Images
Office
OpenOffice
[/ul]

Only the first three are enabled by default.

If Opus 10 is installed over an Opus 9 which contains toolbars with all the above listed names, all those toolbars remain available. The first three have b[/b] appended to to the end of the name. The others simply remain and the correspondingly named toolbars that would have been created in a clean install of 10 are simply not created.

So the often repeated statement that the old toolbars remain available when installing 10 over 9 is correct. It's also correct that not all toolbars that would be created in a clean install of 10 are necessarily created when 10 is installed over 9, but I don't know that anyone ever said they would be.

This all boils down to understanding, or not, what is meant by "default toolbars".

Just installed Dopus 10(.0.4.3) for the first time over a DOPUS 9 install and it did trash my Applications toolbar that I had modified.

I pulled a backup and restored, then it was fine. Just a note to let people know that this can still happen. Probably the best thing to do is to rename any customized toolbars to something unique.

And for anybody else searching before updating: "Things to do before updating to OPUS 10"