Transfer speed

I have just updated to a asus rt-ac68u with a asus pce-ac68u. I'm using 802.1ac and when I copy files to my server thourgh Directory Opus it taks about 20-30 mbps, but when I transfer the same file with windows explorer it speed is about 3 times as much. And I check the transfer time too - explorer is much faster with wifi - why?

I'm using windows 8.1 x64

There can be a lot of different factors influencing file copy speed. Some are discussed in this thread: Copy files over network - Dopus slower than Windows Explorer.

I've always used TeraCopy when I transfer files over the network.

http://codesector.com/downloads

Here's the buttons I use in Opus.

Copy

"C:\Program Files\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe" Copy *{allfilepath|filem} {destpath}

Move

"C:\Program Files\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe" Move *{allfilepath|filem} {destpath}

I know it could be slower, but I just transfered 4gb wireless and it took 4 minuts. When I used Windows Explorer it took 1 minut. And this problem only started after I started to use WIFI - before I had cable between my network - but tried the new 802.1AC, which should be faster than cable...

Anf it works perfect when I used windows explorer - is much faster than cable. but with Directory it's 3xslower... Which I find very weird. And I copy the exactly the same files and it goes from about 80mb/s tp 22mb/s, which isn't slower - but much, much slower - with cable I had about 53 mb/s

Try changing the copy buffer size or some of the other suggestions in the thread I linked to.

I have always noticed that Directory Opus is slower at transferring files (network, external or local drive), but I still love it.

If it's slower for everything, it's probably because it's configured to do more than the thing you are testing against. (Examples are in the thread I linked to.)

In an equal setup, copying the same metadata, everything should copy at the same speed (because all any application does for the data copying part is pass a buffer of data to the OS, which does the rest), and does unless there's a problem with some component in the chain (which there sometimes is).

Please, everyone, don't comment on copy speed unless you have gone through and tried the suggestions, and measured things properly. These threads are frustrating as we keep repeating the same information and it keeps being ignored.

Just an idea, as I also noticed speed differences in the past and maybe to make life a bit easier in the future:
Create some "copy as fast as can be"-mode, one could temporarily activate in the advanced/misc-settings area.

This mode would just rush the files over to somewhere, ignoring attributes, security, metadata, comments, descriptions or what else there is. This mode may try to find the best buffer size automatically as well and whenever a user claims Explorer is faster, he shall use this mode and see, basically it's not, its his DO configuration slowing things down.

In case it won't match the speed of Explorer in "superfast" mode, we really have something to work on.. o)

So do I understand correct. You install teracopy and initiate it from inside Directory Opus by adding come icon on the tool bar? And if yes, how do I do that. I know I need the code you added, but I'm just wondering how to open it up inside the opus...

[quote="jhn431"]I've always used TeraCopy when I transfer files over the network.

http://codesector.com/downloads

Here's the buttons I use in Opus.

Copy

"C:\Program Files\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe" Copy *{allfilepath|filem} {destpath}

Move

"C:\Program Files\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe" Move *{allfilepath|filem} {destpath} [/quote]

Before setting that up, check if Teracopy is actually faster for you. It isn't for everyone.

And it's worth trying the settings mentioned in the thread I linked as they may solve it by themselves, without having to use a separate copy tool.

I changed the copy buffer size from 64KB to 1024KB in Opus's advanced options. My network speeds are much faster now. I don't need TeraCopy after all :stuck_out_tongue:

teracopy is the same speed as directory opus after setting up the buffer. But as I say windows explorer is still 1.5 - 2 times faster, which is a bit annoying. I do get an okay copy speed now, but I'm just surprise that windows copy/move files between 75mb/s to 91 mb/s and in general directory opus and tera copy is about 51 mb/s. It's not a huge problem, but it has made me use windows explorer more now, because it's that much faster - but I like directory opus due to the dual windows and other this and it has for a long time been my favorit program.

But I was just wondering, if it was possible to tune it a bit more (changing the buffer doesn't help anymore)...

Changing the buffer size made a big difference for me.

I transferred a 4GB file over my wired network.

64KB buffer

58mb/s to 60mb/s

1024KB buffer

83mb/s to 85mb/s

Explorer
93mb/s to 95mb/s

Explorer was about 7-8 seconds faster than Opus transferring a large file over the network.

[quote="jhn431"]Changing the buffer size made a big difference for me.

I transferred a 4GB file over my wired network.

64KB buffer

58mb/s to 60mb/s

1024KB buffer

83mb/s to 85mb/s

Explorer
93mb/s to 95mb/s

Explorer was about 7-8 seconds faster than Opus transferring a large file over the network.[/quote]
Hi,
I've found this thread using search and registered in order to be able to ask you about the exact setting I should use in order to increase the transfer speed as possible.
Preferences > Miscellaneous > Advanced
There are too many option right there and I do not want to make a mess especially that it is my workstation at work :slight_smile:
Also do I need to change in other settings in any other places under preferences?

Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: copy_buffer_size: Try 32KB, 64KB, 128KB, 256KB, 512KB, 1MB, 5MB.:

Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: copy_nonbufferio_threshold: Try 0 and 1MB.

Remember that Windows caches things so if your repeat tests on the same files it may be faster than on new files.

Also remember that antivirus, networo, USB and other drivers can affect things greatly, so results will vary by device, file type and even individual files.