Transfers speeds in DOpus over Network to Nas 10Gbit

Hi,

Directory opus is an awesome software :slight_smile:
but i noticed an issue with transfer speeds over network.

I have been reading about this topic in the forum but couldn't find if it was solved or if there is an workaround for it?

i tried changing buffer size etc...

I see a large difference between dopus compared to total commander for example.
i didn't take notice of this until a used Explorer to copy/move the file.

i get an avg of 100 - 300 MB difference and sometime even more.

/JTG

Buffer sizes are the main thing, and there's no guaranteed size that'll work well with all setups, so you have to experiment.

Antivirus can also affect things and may treat some software differently to others.

It's also possible that the hardware/drivers/etc. involved only run at full speed when things are done exactly the way File Explorer (via the limited CopyFileEx API) does them. At the moment the only workaround for that is to use something like Copy files via the shell (Windows Explorer) from a button.

In the future we will be making Opus copy using the same CopyFileEx method File Explorer uses by default, when it can, which should solve most issues with setups that don't work well with anything else. (At least when Opus is copying. Almost literally everything else in all software that isn't doing a simple file copy via CopyFileEx will also be slow here, e.g. loading/saving files via apps with network drives involved. Most of those things just don't report speeds so you don't notice. Microsoft optimised CopyFileEx rather than fix the lower level, underlying I/O code which everything ultimately goes through.)

Thanks i will look at it, and also wait for the update :slight_smile:

Hi, any news or insight to this issue?

currently i have cache set to 4096KB and it improve the avg speed to about 460 MB/s which is ok :slight_smile:
but compared to TotalCommander i get 550-720 MB/s for some strange reason copying the same file.

this is the read speed from NAS to PC, same file and location for both test.