Treating multiple drives as 1 folder - Use File Collections?

Hi.
Trying to convince my boss to buy Dopus to use at work, and if I can get it to do this, I know he'll bite.

I want to have the contents of 4 remote drives to show up in one virtual folder, where I can use the wildcard text search to filter file names, and batch process those files however i want.

I know that putting all the files in a File Collection would do this temporarily, but I want the collection to be continually updated, every time something is added or deleted in each of the 4 directories.

Possible?

Thanks

As the Find/Collection stuff works right now, you could have the collection updated on-demand (1 button click) but not automatically. File collections are static snapshots of results (or manually built sets of files/folders).

A possible way to accomplish what you want using Opus would be to create a folder somewhere and within that create NTFS junctions which point to each of the drives/folders. (Presumably you would want this folder of junctions to be on another drive, else you'll run into an infinite loop in the directory structure. :slight_smile:)

You could then open that folder using Opus and switch on Flat View mode (View -> Flat View) which would show you all of the contents of those drives at one, updated in real time, searchable, etc.).

If you decide to try that and are not familiar with NTFS junctions then it's worth reading about them briefly so you know what you're doing. You can create a mess with junctions if they're misused and you should be careful about deleting them if you decide to undo things. Don't use a tool/command which will delete the thing the junction points to rather than just the junction itself! Experiment with some test folders first to make sure I've understood what you need and it behaves like you need it to.

Thank you sir.
I'm investigating this NTFS junction business right now!