Trying to load Opus 9

I purchased Opus 10 and received a program certificate, but I really wanted opus 9. I downloaded opus 9 and now I have it as the "stock certificate", and the program certificate I received when I paid for Opus 10 doesn't work. I don't want to pay again. How do I register my copy of Opus 9?

Opus 10 certificates won't work with Opus 9 (and vice versa).

Why do you want Opus 9 instead of Opus 10?

I was wrong in my earlier post. Opus 10 (Pro) certificates will work in Opus 9.

However, Opus 10 Light certificates won't work in Opus 9, since there wasn't an Opus 9 Light.

Thanks. The primary feature I use in Opus is the search feature and I find the version in 9 to be much better suited for my needs. Unless I am missing a way in 10 to run searches in new windows. I often have multiple searches running simultaneously and love the separate window feature in 9.

So, I would need to upgrade my 10 certificate to the Pro version and then should be able to use it to activate 9?

You can do multiple searches at once in Opus 10, just by opening multiple windows. In effect, each lister can be a find window, if you want it to be. There are ways to streamline things a bit, like making a button which opens a new window showing the current folder (or selected folder(s) if prefered), with the find panel open ready for searching.

You can, yes, although your profile says you're using Windows 8, which Opus 9 does not fully support. The last update to Opus 9 was two years before Windows 8 came out, so you may run into some issues.

It's your choice, of course, but I wouldn't recommend getting stranded on an old version of Opus as you'd be throwing out a lot of improvements.

how do I learn more about doing the searches in Opus 10? I spent quite a bit of time researching it and it all seemed very complicated. Opus 9 was very intuitive on the search feature. If I could find step by steps on how to customize Opus 10 to do my searches, I would gladly stick with Opus 10, but all the improvements in the world don't help me if I can't easily use the search feature. Any assistance is appreciated!!

The main thing is just to open another window and then use the Find panel in that. You can use the Find panel in multiple windows at once.

However, Opus Light generally restricts you to a single window (except in special situations), which makes what I just said difficult. :slight_smile: If you're already thinking of moving to Opus Pro in order to use Opus 9, you might find that Opus 10 Pro works just as well here. You can open another window via various methods (e.g. File->New Lister, Ctrl+E, or a toolbar button or hotkey of your choice; I generally double-click the desktop or shift-click the window on the taskbar (middle-click does the same)) and then use the find panel in it, even if the find panel is still working in another window.)

soooo, if I have opus 9 loaded (with a test certificate) and I paid for opus 10 light (which I have a certificate number for), I am ok upgrading to the Pro if it works better for me...what is the easiest & most cost effective way to do this? And, If I end up not liking the opus 10, can I then go back to the opus 9 version somehow?

Yes, using this page: gpsoft.com.au/DScripts/upgrade.asp

Hello - I am still frustrated with the "find" feature in Opus 10. I have hundreds of job folders I need to search regularly. When I run a search and then use CTRL E to open a new window for the next search, the display tree shows up as the condensed version and I need to click, click, click, click, click to get to the subfolder I need to search. Is there a way to change the way the tree shows up in each new window? Also, the "find" panel takes up a lot of my bottom screen and limits how much of my tree I can see. How do I set that to a smaller window?

If all else fails, how do I get back to Opus 9???

If you change the Ctrl-E hotkey (or create a new hotkey) to run Go CURRENT NEW it will make the new window open in the same folder you are currently in.

To make the find panel default to a smaller size, resize it, then use Settings > Set as Default Lister. (You may then want to turn it off and use Settings > Set as Default Lister again, so it's not on all the time. But I think you may need to save the default once with the panel open for the size change to stick.)

Opus 9 is here, but does not support Windows 8: gpsoft.com.au/DScripts/download.asp?type=old

If you change the Ctrl-E hotkey (or create a new hotkey) to run Go CURRENT NEW it will make the new window open in the same folder you are currently in.

how do I do this???

Click Settings --> Customize Toolbars --> Keys then edit the definition of Ctrl-E.

Regards, AB

This may also be of interest for you: Separate Find Window.

I am sorry I don't get this... I followed the steps above (I think). I changed the function to "go" and put "CURRENT NEW" under description and it didn't work. I purchased Opus specifically because the Find feature was very intuitive and worked so well with the separate window opening right into the folder I was in. What am I doing wrong? I am not very "software literate" Sorry!

You don't want to create a new hotkey. There should be an existing one that you can edit, which already runs "Go NEW" or similar and just needs the "CURRENT" part adding on.

Click the filter at the bottom of the Customize / Keys page and push Ctrl-E. You'll see two hotkeys. Delete the one you added, which is probably in the Hotkey group,and edit the other one that should be in the Toolbar group. (Group names from memory so may be slightly different.)

Thanks Leo- that helped, except now when I hit CTRL F, it doesn't start a new Search, it replaces the previous one. I need to be able to run multiple searches simultaneously. What am I doing wrong???

Did you look at the link I provided? I think what steje provides there is definitely worth a try. It should be a proper and comfortable solution for your needs. You don't need to understand the code at all. You only need to download the provided Zip file, unpack it and import the ready-to use user-defined Command. Afterwards you can simply drag this command to a toolbar. That creates a new button that needs to be edited to run My_GoFind {s} instead of only My_GoFind. The code itself can also easily be edited to customize things like position and size of the find window.
Shout (preferably in steje's thread) if you need some help to get it running.