Trying to rename folders recursively using find and replace

hi thanks for reading my thread.

i am using version 8.2.1.0 U.

i have created a button that i hoped would find and replace folder names recursively but i can't make it work.

here is what i do have

Rename FINDREP PATTERN="Disc1" TO "Side a" TYPE=dirs
Rename FINDREP PATTERN="Disc2" TO "Side b" TYPE=dirs

with this button i have to highlight each folder individually and then press the button. it works okay if i highlight one folder at a time but if i highlight two then press the button up pops the rename box and i have to click ok.

1. can you help me with my working button? how do you stop the rename box popping up? when i made a button for deleting my temp files i used the quiet/s option and this suppressed a dialog box, is there something similar for rename?

2. ideally i want to do everything recursively so that i only need to select one folder and click my button can anybody help me to get the recurse option working?

thanks again for taking the time to read my post :question:

I don't quite follow what you are trying to do but if you simplify your button command to this it works for me.

Rename "Disc1" TO "Side a" TYPE=dirs
Rename "Disc2" TO "Side b" TYPE=dirs

thanks JohnZeman that simplification suppresses the rename dialog.

i'm afraid i still cannot get it to work recursively.

any other help?

I don't quite understand what you mean when you say recursively.

this feature allows you to rename every single sub folder within the chosen folder.

this allows you to choose 1 folder and rename thousands of sub folders

without a recurse option you would have to select every single one of these thousands of sub folders and then rename them

Maybe the RECURSE flag would help?

thanks for your sarcasm jon but i did try that. i tried the RECURSE flag in every conceivable position in the rename but it doesn't work.

someone just informed me that the new version out 31st March has a bug fix for this very problem

I don't think Jon meant to be sarcastic :slight_smile:, the recurse flag wasn't in the examples above so he suggested it.

Anyway, is it working now with the 31st March version? I think you used to have to use a wildcard pattern (even if you didn't really want/need one) to rename more than one item, which I guess is what has been fixed. (I've not read the change log yet; totally lost in TES4: Oblivion at the moment!)

(Edit: Didn't see mention of this in the 31st March change log, but maybe it was fixed in an interim version, or just isn't listed. Or I'm confused. I do remember it being brought up a while ago, though and hopefully it's fixed now, either way.)

(Edit2: If it isn't fixed, you should be able to make things work by turning the "from" expression into a pattern. e.g. Just stick a * on the end of it, assuming that's safe (i.e. nothing unwanted will match as a result of the *).)

sorry jon and nudel.

i should have been clearer.

i'm a little frustrated, i've been trying to get this one button working for a week :imp:

it looks like the bug was with FTP -
FTP: Fixed problem with recursive rename failure to detect correct folder.

i've downloaded the new version and i still can't make it work. :frowning:
i'm going to sulk now and look at it again later

Hmmm... it seems like I remember thinking that RECURSE was broken in the internal command set? Unless I don't understand how to use it properly...

i'm still stumped. if i open the advanced rename dialog i can rename files recursively but there does not seem to be an option to change folder names.

if i make a button using the raw rename command i can rename folders that i have highlighted but can't get it to work recursively.

thanks to everybody who replied.

i got a reply from directory opus support, it looks like i'll have to wait for a new version to fix my problem.

The TYPE parameter for the Rename command does not currently operate recursively - it affects only top-level items. When using the RECURSE switch, all items inside sub-folders will be renamed - both files and folders.

[i]I will add a feature request for an improvement to this in a future version.
Regards,
Jonathan Potter

GP Software[/i]

It's more work than a one-click button but for now you could use Flat Mode, then select the folders (or filter away all files and select-all), then click the rename button.

thanks nudel, i'll try that

[quote="ethereal"]thanks to everybody who replied.

i got a reply from directory opus support, it looks like i'll have to wait for a new version to fix my problem.

The TYPE parameter for the Rename command does not currently operate recursively - it affects only top-level items. When using the RECURSE switch, all items inside sub-folders will be renamed - both files and folders.

[i]I will add a feature request for an improvement to this in a future version.
Regards,
Jonathan Potter

GP Software[/i][/quote]

Sorry to reanimate this topic but i have exactly the same problem now and it seems the RECURSE flag still doesn't work on sub-FOLDERS ..
Is there a way to make recursive replace on folders and files ?

Thanks