Turning on Check Box mode in a dual-display Lister

The raw command, SET CHECKBOXMODE=ON, turns "Check Box" mode on only for the active side of a dual-display Lister.

Can someone tell me how to do this for both sides?

Thanks in advance.

It's a bit of a hack, but something like this will do the trick:

dopusrt /CMD Set CHECKBOXMODE=Toggle DEST=Toggle dopusrt /CMD Set CHECKBOXMODE=Toggle DEST=Toggle

I couldn't get it to work from within a menu button (using the tag) - I could see the check boxes flicker on and off on the active side of the dual-display. But it did work using DOPUSRT.

The SET DEST raw command is not documented in the manual - the equivalent I found was SET STATE. For that the documentation says that it sets the active lister into source or destination mode.

Looks like I need a command to make the other side of a dual-display Lister the active one. I found (from the manua) that the keyboard shortcut, Ctrl-Tab does the trick but, thus far, I haven't been able to figure out what the raw command is. Does any one know?

Thanks for your tip, Nudel.

If you were in single-display mode and ran the commands above in a button - you would indeed see the checkboxes 'flicker'... otherwise the commands Nudel gave work with no modifications.

I got my button to work by changing the two instructions from

<instruction>SET DEST=Toggle CHECKBOXMODE=Toggle</instruction> <instruction>SET DEST=Toggle CHECKBOXMODE=Toggle</instruction>

to

<instruction>dopusrt.exe /CMD SET DEST=Toggle CHECKBOXMODE=ON</instruction>
<instruction>dopusrt.exe /CMD SET DEST=Toggle CHECKBOXMODE=ON</instruction>

I don't really understand why right now but I'm hoping to once I learn more about this amazing application.

Thanks for your help steje & nudel.

Well, your command will only turn checkbox mode ON as opposed to toggling on and off... but then that's what you had specifically requestsed wasn't it :slight_smile:. As for why the command doesn't work without dopusrt... it's something about the Set DEST portion of the command, since Set CHECKBOXMODE=Toggle is fine on it's own. For some reason a button with a Set DEST=Toggle statement in it causes the button to become greyed out. Pre-pending 'dopusrt' circumvents this apparently...

But I'm confused, aside from changing nudels' TOGGLE argument to ON, why do you seem to NOT want to just copy and paste his exact command examples into a button? They work...

Also, just as a minor 'FYI' - you don't need a ".exe" extension at the end of dopusrt when used within an Opus button, hotkey, or CLI. It works simply by calling dopusrt (/CMD).

The reason for using dopusrt sometimes is that it makes Opus run each command completely independently, because it makes Opus run an external program (dopusrt.exe) which happens to then trigger Opus commands to run...

Usually if you run a command with dopusrt it'll be the same as running without it, but sometimes Opus won't do what you want it to unless you use dopusrt.

In this case, when Opus starts running the button it makes a note of which file display is the source. Then all of the commands act on that display, so both Set commands set the same file display to be the destination.

When you run with dopusrt instead, Opus just launches the two commands and forgets about them. Then the first instance of dopusrt tells Opus to set the current source to be the destination, and that command is done. Then, with the old destination now the new source and vice versa, the second instance of dopusrt runs and it tells the current (i.e. new) source to become the destination once again.

That's probably as clear as mud but I hope it helps at least give an idea of one of the uses of dopusrt.

Another common use for dopusrt is for sending "external command codes" (e.g. the selected filenames) to internal Opus commands. Usually you don't need to do this because the internal commands work on the selected files automatically and usually do what you want without requiring anything special, but in a few situations it's useful. Since dopusrt is an external program, you can send external command codes to it which are then put into a command which dopusrt tells Opus to run.

All of this dopusrt stuff is somewhat accidental! I believe the real reason for dopusrt.exe being written originally was just so that you could run Opus commands from other programs and batch files. But it turned out to be useful inside of Opus as well. :slight_smile: