Unable to install Font

Brittanic Bold.zip (23.6 KB)

Maybe it's me but i'm unable to install this font using Opus. But had no issue using explorer.

• If i'm not mistaken, drag and drop from within a zip to C:\Windows\Fonts had never worked.

• When extracted, dragging the font from one pane to C:\Windows\Fonts appears to do something but then no font is installed.

• When the fonts page is set to thumbnail view, the progress window turns white and Opus crashes.

Directory Opus 13.2 Build 8805 x64
OS 10.0 (B:19045 P:2 T:1) SP 0.0

If you want to install fonts using Opus, make a button/menu/hotkey which runs Copy INSTALLFONT and run that with the font(s) selected.

(Drag & drop to the Fonts folder is an Explorer thing. Not sure if that works in Opus or not.)

I'm sorry, not to be rude but.. what?

Are you saying opus crashing is not opus' fault so find another way ?

I missed the part about crashing. That may or may not be Opus's fault, depending on where the crash is. Please send us the crash logs and we'll take a look.

(A report about crashing when showing fonts in thumbnails should really be a separate post to the one about installing fonts.)

So the takeaway is, Windows Fonts is weird so sometimes is works, sometimes doesn't.

There are no crash logs listed. Could they have been sent automatically? Because i have that checkbox to delete-after-submission enabled.

Drag and drop from ZIP to the fonts folder doesn't appear work in Explorer either. It's because the Fonts folder (which is implemented by Explorer) doesn't support drag and drop from virtual (non-file system) locations.

Drag and drop from a normal (filesystem folder) seems to work ok, although the dialog that Explorer displays while installing the font obviously has some issues in our dark mode:

Nonetheless the font is installed ok afterwards.

You can also install a font by right-clicking it and choosing Install (or Install for all users), and that actually runs the Opus Copy INSTALLFONT command Leo mentioned, which has a much nicer UI.

The above screenshots were taken with the fonts folder in thumbnails mode, which also seems to work ok (although the spacing between the icons is huge).

The Fonts folder is implemented by Explorer and only hosted in Opus, we don't implement it ourselves, and so have little control over how it looks or behaves.

Any crash logs will be in %TEMP%\DOpus.Minidumps - running the Submit Crash Logs command from the Help menu will find them and submit them, but it doesn't happen automatically. If there are no logs then you could try taking a manual process snapshot while Opus in the hung state - see Manually generating process snapshots.

1 Like

Just adding to what Jon posted: This depends on the configuration in Preferences / Folders / Virtual Folders / File System.

Opus can show the raw fonts directory -- what it really looks like on disk, as you'd see if you ran dir from a Command Prompt -- or it can show you the virtual Fonts folder by hosting the Windows Shell's view of it (basically the same as what File Explorer shows).

(This info doesn't replace what's in Jon's post above, just adds to it, so please read his post if you haven't already. We've noticed people often only read the last reply!)

1 Like