Undo actions from other software in Opus?

Installed Opus a few days ago and i'm really enjoying the abundance of customization options, although i've come across a couple of issues though that i couldn't quite fix

First: i use Listary and "Everything" search to quickly move files across my different folders (for example i select a file and ctrl+x then use listary to quickly locate the folder i want to move my file to then paste using listary) and the file gets moved but my problem here is that Dopus doesn't seem to detect these operations because if i try to undo that file move i can't do so using Dopus (the moved file does not even shoew up on the undo list) and i have to go to normal file explorer to undo... i really hope there's a fix for that somewhere that i'm missing

Second: in windows file explorer, when files/folders are in details view we can use a droplist from each one of the properties on the header to filter the files and folders, it's a neat feature that helps filter things quickly and easily that seems to be missing from opus, is there an option somewhere that i'm missing to enable something similar to this? this is a screenshot of the feature i'm referring to Imgur: The magic of the Internet

You can do both of these things. Here is one of many ways to do both.

For the first, find the destination file/folder using Everything which will send the folder to the right pane. Then in the left pane, select the file to move and hit the move button to move it to the right pane. 4 clicks and typing the search in Everything

For the second, I think you're referring to the Group By function. Right click on the column header you wish to group by and select group. 2 clicks

Thank you for the reply,
that doesn't really work for me though.. I have an AHK script set up that allows me to paste files directly into "Everything" or listary results without having to open the destination folder, so basically i just use 2 keyboard shortcuts and and files are moved.. plus i don't use dual panes because I'm mostly working with large thumbnails view so I need to utilize the screen to fit as many files, so I can't really be bothered with a second pane.. all I need is a way for Opus to detect that some files were moved and to have them listed on the undo list.. windows file explorer keeps track of all these copy/move/delete operations etc.. i'm not sure why opus is not doing the same (i have replaced file explorer with opus in all the relevant preferences) or at least i believe i did..

Undo is for actions performed in Opus. It isn't meant to let you undo actions performed in a completely separate application.

(Apparently File Explorer does this for operations performed via certain APIs. That's a bug in File Explorer, in my opinion, and not something we aim to reproduce in any case.)

This thread is quite difficult to follow already. Please see the advice here when creating future threads:

ops! really sorry about that, i'll create a separate thread for the second question.. i edited my last reply to include only the undo issue..

so, you're saying that the'res no way for me to tweak things around and make opus watch for these move operations?

and by the way.. i don't really need opus to keep track of all the operations i do and list them for me in the undo list.. a simple undo for the last operation would suffice (similar to the undo in file explorer) so i was wandering if it'd be possible to incorporate the undo command from the file explorer context menu into the context menu of Opus

Undo is a per-application concept. You don't do something in Photoshop and then click Undo in Notepad to undo it. You undo the action in Photoshop, or whichever application it was performed in. It doesn't make sense for undo/redo events to cross over into other applications.

The fact it happens in File Explorer for some actions is, IMO, a bug in File Explorer (or, more accurately, the Windows shell API not maintaining separate undo lists for separate software). But I am repeating myself now.

1 Like

ahaa.. got it, thank u for explaining that to me, somehow i imagined that actions done to files and folders are somehow global since file explorer was always able to detect actions done by other applications.. i understand how that works now, thanks Leo