Upgraded to 10.5.3.0 - now desktop icon problems

I responded to the auto-upgrade to go to 10.5.3.0, but after rebooting, the small icons were overlaid with generic icons (difficult to describe), so I can't see the actual icons behind them. If I change to medium icons then they are visible, but again with the generic small icon overlaying them. I have done all the usual stuff of clearing the thumbnail cache and so on, but to no avail. How do I get rid of them so that I can have my small icons visible?

Please try Clear Icon Cache, which is different to clearing the thumbnail cache.

If that doesn't work, are we talking about the Windows desktop, or the desktop folder when viewed within both Opus and Explorer, or the desktop folder only when viewed within Opus?

I've run the clear icon cache, no effect. The problem is the windows desktop and desktop listing in Explorer. Thumbnails appear properly on the taskbar and within Directory Opus listers.

It's probably not related to Opus in that case, since Opus shouldn't be involved in how the Windows desktop and Explorer get their icons (except the icons for Opus's own file types).

Something else is likely to have gone wrong coincidentally when you rebooted for the update.

I now seem to be at 10.5.4.0, but I still have the issue of the icons overlaying the thumbnails on the desktop. I think it was because the previous version didn't uninstall cleanly, there were a couple of error messages during the process but it completed as normal. On the reboot, the thrumbnails show when the desktop loads, but they are then overlaid with the generic icons. Annoying, any ideas gratefully received.

You don't need to uninstall Opus to update it; the installers can be run over the top of the old version. (Uninstalling Opus will wipe your config as well.)

If you're getting errors during the installation, they could be relevant to the wider problem which may also be affecting other parts of the system (such as Explorer and the Windows desktop), but I couldn't say without knowing what the errors said.

As I said, Opus it not involved at all in how Explorer or the Windows desktop displays icons and thumbnails, so what you are seeing is very unlikely to be caused by anything connected to Opus or updating Opus. It's much more likely that another system change or update was pending, waiting for the next reboot, and rebooting to install Opus also performed that change as well. Or something just went wrong when the reboot happened, which is also possible.

If you want to try installing an older version of Opus to confirm that the problem is still there with both old and new versions of Opus, and thus the new version of Opus is not the cause, just let me know which Opus version you want and I can provide the installer if you don't still have it. But I don't think it will make a difference since Opus should not be involved in Explorer's icons and thumbnails.

Thanks, please send me a link to 10.5.2 0 and I'll see what happens, but as you say, it's probably something going belly-up in the reboot, not directly caused by Opus.

Problem solved by using Vista shortcut manager to rebuild the thumbnails. Thanks for your help.

@Leo: Long time ago I tested your clear-icon-cache tool (to avoid using the hardcore-method killing explorer.exe :wink:), it also didn't work for me.

If clearing Explorer's thumbnail cache fixed the problem this thread is about then a tool to clear Explorer's icon cache would not have made any difference, since they are separate caches. That doesn't mean the tool didn't/doesn't work; it just means the problem Explorer was having was not as I had first guessed and was something else.

This is all even more unrelated to Opus now.

Its a bit of an odd thread to read after the fact. Maybe there's just some terminology confusion - but to make it even worse - when searching for "Vista Shortcut Manager" I just get hits on third-party tools that purport do something yet different than what's been talked about here: having to do with getting rid of the normal shortcut icon ARROW overlay in Vista.

So that makes three different things being mentioned here:

1. What the OP kept referring to as THUMBNAILS
  2. What Leo thought had to do with ICONS to program shortcuts
  3. What the "Vista Shortcut Manager" program the OP referred to works on - the ARROW overlay icon on top of shortcuts. Maybe it 'also' rebuilds "thumbnails"... lol.

Reminds me of when I talk to one of my parents or aunts or uncles, and they tell me something like they're "running out of memory" in their computer :slight_smile:.

It's an Explorer problem that's solved now anyway, so let's stop talking about it here. :slight_smile: