Upgraded to v9 - Total Configuration Loss

I received the email about upgrade to v9 today. I did so. I am using Vista x64. Installation seemed to go fine. However, all my settings, configurations, FTP connections, everything are lost. I tried restoring from the backup created on initial run, but nothing changed. Please advise. Thank you.

This is the first example I've heard of with this problem (no settings being imported at all) so it's likely to be something unique to your configuration. The best way to get it fixed is to, if possible, email your configuration file (the backup of your Opus 8 settings that was made during installation of Opus 9) to GPSoftware so they can try to reproduce the problem and find out what's going wrong.

Also, be aware of : [Windows x64 support)

Thanks for the reply. I did a system restore to get back my old configuration (even if I uninstalled 9 and reinstalled 8, it would not take the backup created). I also tried creating a backup after that and then importing it into 9, which didn't work either. Is there perhaps a tool that can be used to convert the old settings into the new format or something that will work with the v9 import? I emailed support yesterday, but did not get a reply yet. Thanks.

There's no conversion tool except Opus itself; however if the main thing you want to import is your toolbars than you can extract them from the .dps settings backup file (just rename it to .zip and look inside it for the Buttons directory). The Opus 8 toolbar files will work in Opus 9 and you should be able to import them with a simple double-click.

If there was anything else that you customized heavily and would have to spend a long time getting back let us know what it was and we'll explain how/if it can be converted/imported manually.

Please do hang on to the .dps backup file in case GPSoft want you to try any potential fixes.

Yes, I customized everything a lot. Main settings and lister settings are the main things. I lost the toolbar buttons and context menu customization somehow with all of this switching back and forth. I don't remember everything I had done there now. I added one of them back. Oh well...

Hello mystikmedia,

[quote]Yes, I customized everything a lot. Main settings and lister settings are the main things. I
lost the toolbar buttons and context menu customization somehow with all of this switching back
and forth. I don't remember everything I had done there now. I added one of them back. Oh
well..
[/quote]
Are you sure they are really gone and not hidden? Look at your
toolbars. My customized ones were renamed with a (1) after them.

--
Peace,
Wayne Howard

"Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses
them" -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Seems so, yes. I read that happened with the upgrade to v9, but I am back using v8 and imported from the backup.

I was using DO v8 before upgrading to v9 and all configuration has been transfered...

I think the issue may be related to Vista or x64.

So far you're the only person to experience it I think, so it might be Win64 but it's more likely to be something particular in your configuration that's causing the conversion process to fail.

I think the only way to fix it is to send the config to GPSoft for them to look at.

I was hoping to get a reply to the email I sent, and then send it on after that, but still no reply so far...

If you like, send me a private message (click the PM button below my post) and attach the config to that. I'll make sure it gets to GPSoft.

GPSoft usually reply pretty quickly but it's possible they're very busy (if the amount of activity here is any indication of the amount of mail in their inbox). Check your spam folder/filter (if any) if you haven't already though, it's always possible that the message went into there.

[quote="nudel"]If you like, send me a private message (click the PM button below my post) and attach the config to that. I'll make sure it gets to GPSoft.

GPSoft usually reply pretty quickly but it's possible they're very busy (if the amount of activity here is any indication of the amount of mail in their inbox). Check your spam folder/filter (if any) if you haven't already though, it's always possible that the message went into there.[/quote]

Thank you. I have done so. It does not have everything. I lost a few things, but at least this has most.

I've imported your settings on a test machine and they seemed to be converted fine, but maybe I'm not looking for the right things.

The toolbars were converted but, as someone said earlier, not loaded by default. (I just went into Customize and turned on the versions with "(1)" at the end of their names to get your ones back. I see that Opus 9 now tells people to do this via a message box during the import, which I think is new.)

The status bar settings and default lister size/layout were also imported fine. Anything else I should look for?

I did the import on a Windows 2000 machine, for what it's worth, and I loaded the settings into Opus 8 before installing Opus 9 over the top.

Yea, it will import into 8 for me...the upgrading to 9 is what does not work. Can you send me the v9 export that I could import into it? At least we could then see if importing is what does not work for me in v9...or how we should proceed. Thanks.

Just a quick follow-up note here to let everyone know Leo provided a solution for me...an export that imported successfully for me. Thanks again.