USB Pen Drive Popup

This is really not a DOpus problem, but if anyone is likely to know the answer...

When I plug in my USB pen drive, a new drive letter appears on my DOpus drive bar, and I access it by clicking the letter - exactly what I want to happen.

However, at the same time, a My Computer window also pops open, with that new drive letter selected. Can anyone suggest how I go about suppressing this. Obviously, if I am going to work with the drive in DOpus, I don't want a My Computer window as well.

I am running WinXP Pro SP2. Any suggestions would be welcome. TIA.

Hi there Bernard buddy... I could be wrong but it's probably Windows 'autoplay' routines kicking in. I'm guessing somehow the Open folder to view files using Windows Explorer action was set as the default 'every time' action. Not sure what right clicking on YOUR USB drive and going to properties will show - but I think you should see an Autoplay tab... where you can go in and specify 'Take no action' for each of the different content types in the drop down. Another way to try would be if you've installed the TweakUI PowerToy for XP from Microsoft... there is an option in there to 'turn off' autoplay for removable drives entirely (as opposed to optical drives).

[quote]steje wrote:
... Another way to try would be if you've installed the TweakUI PowerToy for XP from Microsoft... there is an option in there to 'turn off' autoplay for removable drives entirely (as opposed to optical drives).[/quote]
Hello Steje...

How did I know you would come up with the solution? :slight_smile:

I had already been down the Properties, Autoplay route, and no joy.

However, TweakUI solved it. There is an option there to nominate individual drives for Autoplay, and I removed the tick against my pen drive letter, and voila!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sweet... I'm glad one of those worked out for you. Just watch out if you add or do anythign to the system that might change the drive letter assigned to your USB drive (new physical partitions or mapped drives etc etc). I am not sure if that TweakUI settings would 'follow' a different drive letter assignment or not. This was the reason I mentioned the 'removable media' generic setting. Cheers...