USB SYS - Switch

What happens if I want to switch to a different USB stick or go to U3. I have U3. Is one better than the next. I'm thinking that what I'll see on the USB drive is the same as I see on the computer it came from. In that case what happens to the drives that are not on the second computer?

Maybe I have this all wrong. Is the U3 only to be used on the same computer? I was hoping that the U# or USB would give be capabilities on a friends computer, aA widow of someone else computer that I have on mine.

Bob

I cannot answer this question. I have USB, U3 is a new concept for me.

You will see the drive letters and network shares of the PC hosting your USB drive, not the one you backed up you configuration from. You will want to ensure that you use PC-independent commands in your Opus configuration.

For example, rather than making buttons like this:

C:\Windows\Notepad.exe

make them like this:

%SystemRoot%\Notepad.exe

Commands reference drives (or external programs) that only exist on your person computer, will not work on another host PC (unless you can pack them up inside the DOPUS folder on your USB drive and reference them there).

It will within the limitations I've already mentioned. I have a menu in my ListerBar that has several Opus Go commands. The destinations are all the interesting system folders an administrator would likely need to navigate to. I also have hotkeys assigned to many of the administrative tools (Device Manager, MMC, RegEdit, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, etc.). By constructing all these hotkeys and buttons in the PC-independent manner I explained above, I can come over to your house, stick my USB drive in your PC, log in as an Admin (with your permission of course) and quickly start troubleshooting or system tweaking.

I have a friend who just sits back and watches me with Opus and it staggers him the what I can do in a few short clicks or key presses.

[quote="amerifax"]What happens if I want to switch to a different USB stick or go to U3. I have U3. Is one better than the next. I'm thinking that what I'll see on the USB drive is the same as I see on the computer it came from. In that case what happens to the drives that are not on the second computer?

Maybe I have this all wrong. Is the U3 only to be used on the same computer? I was hoping that the U# or USB would give be capabilities on a friends computer, aA widow of someone else computer that I have on mine.

Bob[/quote]
Both U3 and USB mode are for use on other computers.

If you always want to use Opus on the same computer then it's better to simply install it on that computer normally (assuming you have enough licences to install it).

If you want Opus as a tool that you can carry around on a memory card/stick and run on any computer that you happen to need to work on then that's what USB mode and U3 give you.

Personally, I prefer normal USB mode as it's quicker to export Opus directly to the stick, you don't need to buy a special memory card and you don't end up with two drive letters for the memory card like you do with U3.

U3 does have its advantages, though. When you insert the memory card you get a nice menu for launching Opus and other applications, and you will have access to a wider range of USB-enabled applications, since some applications only work in conjunction with the U3 system, unlike Opus which works with or without U3.