USB thumbdrive not visible

Once in a while my USB thumbdrive does not show up. It does not happen too often and my workaround is to temporarily use Windows Explorer.
Refresh does not help and closing and relaunching Directory Opus a few times neither. As said, after trying for a while, I give up and use Explorer.
After rebooting the pc everything is okay though, but that is not always convenient.

As it just happened again, I figured I should report it here.
Likely it is mysterious, unsolvable thing and -of course- happening to me only, of course :wink:

Not a big issue but, as said, a bit inconvenient at times.

Are you fully exiting Opus before relaunching it, or just closing all the windows?

I have this sort of thing happen intermittently - yet still pretty often. It's an irritation for sure... but I've not reported it before since it has seemed like it wasn't necessarily "just" an Opus issue.

For me, it happens most often after doing alot of media activity (multiple removals and connections of different devices) and isn't "always" an issue with a particular device. It most recently happens on one of my laptops where I've got 4 virtual drives defined in SlySoft / Elby's Virtual Clone Drive... On mounting an ISO image, no autoplay dialog opens... closing and opening listers, or hitting Refresh in the tree doesn't cause the drive letters to appear... nor do I see them if I go to the 'Computer' view... In these cases, if I manually type the drive letter in and hit Enter, then all a sudden Opus will show the drive letter in the tree AND the autoplay dialog appears.

I think it's been theorized before that Windows Explorer must have some other method of detecting a drive/media change... but from my view, if auotplay doesn't even open up (if configured to), then Opus isn't really 'broken' even though it would be great if it were able to use whatever (sure to be undocumented) method that Explorer may be using.

@Steje: Which virtual drive are you using? I use PowerISO as it's a small but powerful burning app and includes virtual drives. Never had any problems even when first activating the virtual-drive itself before mounting an iso (autostart can be enabled on first programstart or on boot).

...oh, you mentioned VCC!

Leo, sorry for the delay.

eh ... I am not sure I fully understand the question, I am sorry.
Let's say, fully existing Opus - I need to double click on the desktop to launch it again.
(repeatedly,though no results)
Or do you mean something else ?

Thanks

[quote="steje"]I have this sort of thing happen intermittently - yet still pretty often. It's an irritation for sure... but I've not reported it before since it has seemed like it wasn't necessarily "just" an Opus issue.

For me, it happens most often after doing alot of media activity (multiple removals and connections of different devices) and isn't "always" an issue with a particular device. It most recently happens on one of my laptops where I've got 4 virtual drives defined in SlySoft / Elby's Virtual Clone Drive... On mounting an ISO image, no autoplay dialog opens... closing and opening listers, or hitting Refresh in the tree doesn't cause the drive letters to appear... nor do I see them if I go to the 'Computer' view... In these cases, if I manually type the drive letter in and hit Enter, then all a sudden Opus will show the drive letter in the tree AND the autoplay dialog appears.

I think it's been theorized before that Windows Explorer must have some other method of detecting a drive/media change... but from my view, if auotplay doesn't even open up (if configured to), then Opus isn't really 'broken' even though it would be great if it were able to use whatever (sure to be undocumented) method that Explorer may be using.[/quote]

It -may- be a little off topic here, but it may also be that it has some relation to the USB thumbdrive issue (also I am not sure whether DO is designed to act this way): the following scenario: you open a PDF file from Internet, you then save it to harddisk in a folder where DO is already pointing to. Now you switch to Directory Opus and you wud expect to see the saved file there. Not so... even not after repeated refreshing.

My usual 'workaround' is to select to just quickly select the parent folder and then back back again. In most of the cases (but definitely not always...) the file is shown there. However, I have had instances that this even did not work and pushing F5 in the rootfolder neither, even after a few times.
In that case I close DO and relaunch it.

Then the file is visible. This has been so for a lllong time and I am used to it. Actually I think it is a too much of a tiny thing. Though it puzzled me, it wasn't worth reporting here. But I was/am wondering now, does it not hv anything to do with refreshing. After all the USB isn't visible, but same goes for the saved file in above scenario. Just a long shot...

Doesn't sound like you're fully exiting Opus.

See here: How to Exit Directory Opus

Ahum, right! Did not know that.
Thanks.
Will definitely remember this.
I donot want to keep on nagging on this, even though I know now abt this way of "Exiting" DO, still I wonder why the USB does not
show up in some rare cases (normally it is no problem)
Anyway, thanks again.

Opus assumes devices will reliably report when they have media inserted and ejected (etc.).

It turns out this assumption is incorrect for some devices.