USB version runs slow

Hi,

I own a license + a USB license to DOPUS. I am running the USB version of DOPUS from the SSD on my laptop and am noticing that it runs slower than when it's actually installed on my PC's SSD. Why is this and is there a way to speed it up without actually installing it?

thanks,
Ben

Do you mean you've copied the files off the USB stick on to your SSD but it's still running slowly?

If you type /home and /dopusdata into the location field in Opus, where do they take you to?

yes, I installed the USB version on the usb drive connected to my laptop and copied those files onto the laptop's SSD.

/home takes me to the installation on the usb drive, not to the files that I copied onto the SSD. Knowing this, that's undoubtedly why it's running slower that i expected. I would gladly delete the files from the USB drive. The problem is that I am not permitted to install software directly onto the laptop. Hence, my "solution".

If /home takes you to the USB drive, the software is still running from the USB drive, which is why it's slower.

You need to exit Opus (File > Exit Directory Opus), then run the exe that you copied to your HDD instead.

(This is assuming you used the "use as a dongle" option when creating the USB copy, which lets you copy the files off the USB drive to speed things up.)

No, I didn't use the "use as dongle" options. should I reinstall it to my USB and select dongle, this time?
Thanks for the information

by the way, I don't see a File | Exit Directory Opus

I do see a File | Close selection. Is that what you mean?

Yes, if you intend to run a USB copy from an SSD or HDD.

That would only close the window, not the program.

Are you using custom toolbars/menus?

not to my knowledge

Not custom but imported from a very old version by the look of them. A lot of commands have been added since then.

The exit option is also in the tray icon's menu as well, if you have that turned on.

Or you can type > into the file display to open the command field, then close program and push return to do the same thing.

OK, how do I upgrade the menu structure. I've been using DOPUS for a looong time :slight_smile:

Also, I don't know how to enter the > into the file display

Right-click the toolbar in an empty space, then choose Toolbars > Factory Reset Toolbars.

Click on the file display (the main part of the Opus window where the current folder's contents are displayed) and push the > key on your keyboard. (Shift + . here, but may be different depending on where your keyboard is from.)

sorry, still can't get it to work. I have the ">" in the command line but nothing happens when I hit enter

Don't push return until the end: type > to open the field, then (without pushing return) type close program into the field, then push return.

You're definitely using very custom toolbar sand menus there, from the screenshot, by the way. The default toolbars never looked like those. :slight_smile: So you may not want to reset to factory defaults, at least without making a backup first.

OK, sorry for my confusion. I finally got the program shut down.

Now, since I did NOT install the USB version with "dongle" selected, I presume I need to reinstall it to the USB drive. Right?

Yes, if you intend to run a USB copy from an SSD or HDD.

thanks for your help. I'll try that tomorrow, when i have more time.

by the way, the File menu, in my earlier post, was generated while I had the focus on the Folder Tree. That may be why it look different. Here is the File menu when I have the file display selected. Does this look like what you expect? If not how do I update the file menu? THANKS.

I'm pretty sure mine is default. Here's what mine looks like.

I remember once upon a time, your file menu is the way mine used to look, but that was a number of major versions ago.

Loe, I got the usb/dongle version working on my laptop. thanks for your help

1 Like