Using a [read more] popup for longer DESCRIPTION in metadata

I wouldn't mind seeing the description field in metadata for photos get a further larger popup or expansion in the metadata editor – or at least within infotips. It would be nice to be able to see and edit longer descriptions just on demand, with just a short chunk showing in normal usage, kind of like one finds on browser pages where a short bit is seen and one can click on [read more] if they want to see the whole works.

I was faced with a similar problem adding metadata to pictures. My solution was to create my own metadata panel for images.

That way you can create exactly what is suitable for your needs and you are free of the editing restrictions on the Opus native metadata panel.

Many of the features of my panel will have no relevance for anyone else, but it saves me hours each day, and thanks to the work done by the good guys at DOpus, the data in the panel dovetails perfectly with Photoshop, which is a real bonus.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Not using a toolbar with the viewer as of now, but have popup menu...

@auden, trying to strip it back to just description/caption, subject, title, and keywords/tags – and maybe comment will get added if I get a handle on this enough to pull that off. Keep running into snags with stuff but some progress has been made in guesswork. ; }

@greenboy
If you list me the fields you are interested in, I will see what I can do to strip my macro back to its basics. However, I do warn you that you may have to wait a wee while. I could really do to know what size screen you are using whilst I am doing the work.

@auden, I find it easy to edit and see most of the metadata using the Opus-supplied approaches like the metadata window and infotips. But since Caption/Description can be a lot longer (and maybe Keywords/Tags), editing these while seeing the works is nicer. If I recall, Caption/Description has a limit of 200 characters, and I bet some of my flickr descriptions approach that.

So I'm thinking just:
{name} (don't need to edit, just to see)
{title}
{subject}
{imagedesc}
{comments}

I use a 2560x1440 screen, but it's actually not important to worry about the RESOURCES portion too much, I found I could manipulate the placement and sizing on that easily enough. It was just making sure that it and the VBscript were working together fully. Without studying VBscript in a real way, one has to comment stuff out that looks like it's no longer in use and so on, with so much trial and error. I have enjoyed the process to an extent of course, but in the end I just want it to work and not deal with the other metadata.

I appreciate your offer!

@greenboy
I have finished writing the highly simplified macro and am doing some rudimentary testing. I will post it for you when that is finished then you can play with it yourself and let me know of any problems

@auden, just noticed a typo in my last post. I wrote that I thought the limit for Caption/Description was 200 characters, but meant 2000.

Here is the button you wanted and some notes of what I have done.
Image Metadata.dcf (24.0 KB)

The macro has two interfaces - a portrait (upright) and and landscape interface, better to display the image you are dealing with;

PORTRAIT:

LANDSCAPE:

I have also made the macro copy the caption to the Comment field. You will need to use this if you are going to use the Windows Indexed search in any meaningful way.

This means you need a field to put your own little notes. I use the IPTC Special Instruction field - which can be viewed in Photoshop and sundry other IPTC reading programs. It is often used in the publishing business to add legal notices or warnings etc.

You will immediately see the new simplified macro is really pared down and should be much easier to understand.

You will also note that the macro always makes the first keyword either Portrait or landscape dependent on the orientation of the picture. It is completely automatic.

Enjoy and let me know if you hit any problems.

@auden, I appreciate your attention. I'll check this out. Another text field like Special Instructions could come in handy just to make notes to myself if nothing else.

@auden

Pretty nice looking at another script. In image metadata with bare fields do you always see the tips? In multilines I am not, but also in the earlier script I could never get the tip for a bare TITLE field to show, though it did for the SUBJECT etc. Must be some fine point I was missing.

@greenboyThe tips - or Cue Text - to give it its correct title is, unfortunately only available in single line mode. Once you go to multi-line - an absolute requirement of yours - you lose the facility.