V12.33 final auto-upgraded to 13.1 between yesterday and today

Hi. I was suddenly greeted by the following when I launched DOpus today (I had just used it yesterday with no issues):

I was very surprised. I checked the update settings, which I can only assume at this moment were similar before the upgrade to how they were after the upgrade:

But I never told it to actually install it. I exited DOpus from the tray yesterday around 5:30 PM my time, locked my computer (requiring username and password to unlock), I didn't get back on the computer until this morning at 8:00 AM, I launched DOpus, and that's all.

My wife is the only other person in the house, the computer room is closed to our two cats when I'm not in it, my wife doesn't touch my computer, and we were home the whole time between then and this morning. And she's horrible at her own passwords, much less mine, so there's no chance anyone else did anything by accident or on purpose.

It installed 13.1 (I had never pressed install on this dialog when it came up while I had 12.x installed).

I confirmed it's in 30-day trial mode.

I disabled all the settings related to updating for now. I'm thankful that I happened to perform a fresh configuration export a couple of days ago, so I can uninstall 13, reinstall the latest 12, which I should still have, and re-import the settings.

I would like to know if it makes sense that this happened, even though none of the options that had previously been selected mention automatically installing an update? Was it expected behavior?

Thank you,

13 should never install over 12 without you explicitly downloading and installing it. Especially not 13.1 which is an old version now.

Did you ever install 13 on the same machine in the past? It’s possible 13 had downloaded the 13.1 installer but not run it yet, and then, after going back to 12 afterwards, it may still see the downloaded update and want to install it. Can’t think of any other ways it could happen.

1 Like

That's what I expected the behavior to be.

I haven't manually downloaded or installed v13 at all. I just double-checked where I store DOpus installation exes that I download and confirmed, never manually downloaded.

Edit: The final 12.33 is the most recent I had downloaded, which is what I had installed up until this.

At first, I thought it was the cats. However, a typical cat move would have been to downgrade the software. So, I guess it was the dog, trying to do what's best for you.

3 Likes

Also, I had never downloaded or installed the Beta of 13. Is there a log I can check when I have time? Potentially wouldn't be conclusive, but I'll look when I can and see if I can find anything.

@lxp LOL!

Hmmm, no luck. I checked the File log and I also checked in various subfolders of:

• C:\ProgramData\GPSoftware
  • C:\Users\KEckenrode\AppData\Local\GPSoftware
  • C:\Users\KEckenrode\AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware

but nothing jumps out at me as anything that would tell me about what happened.

There's no log, although the file dates underneath C:\Program Files\GPSoftware should show you when it was last modified.

There's literally no way Opus 12 will download Opus 13 automatically though. Simply not possible. And even if it were possible, all Opus installers are interactive - we never do silent upgrades in the background.

1 Like

Files and folders are dated today at 10:28 AM my time. Odd. I can't swear to it, but I chatted with my brother, who also owns Directory Opus v12, about it at 11:56 AM and sent him the same screenshots. I thought I let him know very shortly after I launched DOpus and saw the "Welcome to Directory Opus 13" dialog. Too bad I didn't save the first screenshot to a file, so I could see the time exactly, as enough time has passed already that I don't remember for sure at this point if I did launch it at that time but didn't get around to chatting him until later, or what.

The earliest "evidence" I have located so far, for something (an email) that prompted me to want to launch DOpus, does align with the ~11:56 AM, but it's still possible there was some particular reason before that.

That still wouldn't explain what happened, however.

I take your word for it - I just can't imagine what exactly occurred that, for all intents and purposes, it seems like it auto-updated. When I launched it for the first time this morning, I used the same pinned taskbar button on Windows 10 I always use - I don't have DOpus keep running in the notification tray when I'm not using it, and I always exit DOpus by right-clicking on the notification tray icon and choosing Exit.

Bizarre.