HD
Physical Size
Video Codec

1. I goto the title bar and right-click
  2. I goto 'Columns'
  3. I goto 'Movies'
  4. I select ALL the above options

When I goto my main folder with all my videos, I would say (approximately) half
of the videos actually display ANYTHING at all under these MetaData columns.

I know for a fact that every video I have actually has legit-valid MetaData in them,
as I have been using the Free Open Source app called 'MediaInfo' of which I have the latest version.
This program is continually in development and gets updated regularly, so the only conclusion that I
feel i can come to is that there is some major issues with regards to DOP's ability to show/display
such metadata.

It would be extremely helpful for me to be able to dispay all my video files with the paramaters
that i want by simply being able to click on one of the MetaData columns, so I can sort and group or
move various video files of mine into specific directorys for conversion, and other related such stuff.

This is something that i have always wanted windows to do - but it never did it right or properly.

This issue has been here ever since i tryed DOPus years ago, and i would really *** LOVE *** to have this issue fixed.
DOPus is definately worth it, after all, I would say DOPus has so many features built into it, that this is worth fixing,
especially for video editing/preserving/converting peoples such as myself.

Keep the good work up - Ben

My List of Video involves .MP4, .FLV, .AVI, .MKV

I can provide you with the MediaInfo of some of my videos if you wish to analyse them.

Ben

Only AVI and WMV are supported internally at the moment.

More can be added via the plugin API (the AudioTags plugin + source is a good starting point for anyone interested), and we may eventually increase the coverage oursleves as well, but that's how things are right now.

Umm, Why?. I thought the whole 'ethos' about directory opus as far as GPSoftware was concerned was:
"We Take the Users Ideas and Implement them - That is what makes Directory Opus so great"

I feel strongly that Video MetaTags should not be left out of of the equation, People like me are into some serious video cutting/editing/organising/DVD creating etc.

DOpus would be the perfect companion - actually to be realistic, the first EVER companion to multimedia TAGS support.
I think people seriously overlook the major advantages of TAGS support for video, 99% of the time people are obsessed over any/all
tags for audio files only. i.e. Artist, Album, Year, MP3 compression level, etc.

There has been way more than ample support for audio files and their codecs for years and years, with a plethora of apps, both
freeware and commercial. i.e. Apple's all too famouse iTunes - both for Macs and PC's.

Most people who have Audio files, like to be able to organise their media effectively - often using apps to list them and play them, etc.
The traditional windows explorer has been reasonably well supported by Microsoft for supporting audio MetaData (both to see and partial support for editing).

When there was more demand for the native windows explorer to provide better support for functions like editing audio file MetaTag Data, third party freeware and commercial apps have appeared on the scene - especially to take up the slake for non-industry
approved freeware codec standards, like Voc, Vorbis, Ape, and recently .Opus

However.....When it comes to video organising/cataloging, most of the time people have been left out in the rain, with signal lack
of support by Microsoft to improve explorer to even show MetaTag Data for video files, e.g. Video Bit Rate, Video Encoder, Aspect
Ratio, Minimum/Maximum Frame rate, MP4 Level quality level, etc, etc.

Even though I'm still a very new user of DOpus (bought the full-fledged version), I have considered DOpus to be one of the best
candidates for letting me do with video files what sooo many can already do just with explorer for their audio files.

Of course I'm familiar with the DOPus API - for plug-ins.
Seamonkey, and Mozilla both provide Add-on plug's for their browsers respectfully.

However I dont really have the ability to program - I used to program BASIC as a kid, unfortunately my memory has problems
which mean that programming is not really an option for me anymore.

I'm sure DOpus Devs could at least consider supporting the open-source codecs for video, as I realise that from a legal/financial
point of view supporting things such as MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.264/H.265 would probably be handled with very strict licensing controls
and very heavy financial costs involved.

The idea that i would be able to list all my video files and have all the data that MediaInfo provides in the columns is very appeling to me indeed.

Please consider this request.

Still waiting for a response to my above statement....

My response above already covers everything we can say at the moment.

We keep all requests in mind but do not announce plans or features until they are ready (or very close) for release, as plans can change.

Ok, I can understand that from a business point of view, I personally suspect though that your company GPSoftware's Directory Opus
does not have any other competition from any other company - i.e. no product that comes anywhere near your product, as a result
your company is in 'no hurry' to implement certain features/abilities.

The last & only question I have left then on this topic is this:

Because DOPus has the ability to be so flexible with things like it's own native programming/script language and also the ability
to have external third-party plugins created/made for it to bring new features or enhance current one that allready exist,
how does GPSoftware decide what things to add to DOPus as opposed to suggesting that users either create their own scripts/plugins ?

This is a genuine question and is not meant or intended to badger you or GPSoftware :slight_smile:

Ben

We use a an ISO-defined decision-making process involving a Magic 8 Ball and an elder council of penguins. The process is easy but we are still trying to work out how to interpret its results.

Did the penguins say it was ok to use their photo?

/me kneels before the dopus elders

If by any chance you are familiar with programming, adding this feature with help of MediaInfo library is pretty straightforward (this is Python, with main languages in DO scripting being VBScript and JScript):

Well, ok, Maybe I'll tell the pengin representatives someday what I think a lot of people also want/desire.

Xyzzy: I dont have the ability to program - It's a memory issue I have involving brain damage as a result of seizures...
So just in case you were going to give me the old 'but anybody can program/code if they really want to...' speech, then
alas that is not always the case, myself as 1 example.