Viewer opens floating Word toolbars

When you highlight a Word file it opens in the viewer as well as two floating toolbars which are actually add-ons (circled in red in the image at this link).

The toolbars can be closed by clicking on the "X". However, if you select another Word document when it shows up in the viewer the toolbars pop up again. This is extremely annoying behaviour that renders the viewer too awkward to use.

By the way, when you open Word normally these toolbars are in the regual place - NOT floating as with the Dopus Viewer.

Our software is:

[ul]- Dopus 9.1.0.6.3044 x86 with ActiveX + Preview + Office + Web version 3.1.0.5

• MS Word 2003 11.8215.8202 SP3.[/ul]

How can we have Word open in the viewer without these floting toolbars?

Couple of questions:

[ul][li]If you drop a .doc file on Internet Explorer, does the same thing happen?
[/li]
[li]If you close all Opus/IE/Word windows, then open the document in Word, close the toolbars (so they aren't visible at all), exit Word and then open the same document again in Word, do the toolbars reappear?[/li][/ul]

Thank you for the reply,

[quote="leo"]Couple of questions:

[ul][li]If you drop a .doc file on Internet Explorer, does the same thing happen?[/quote]

Yes!

[quote="leo"][/li][li]If you close all Opus/IE/Word windows, then open the document in Word, close the toolbars (so they aren't visible at all), exit Word and then open the same document again in Word, do the toolbars reappear?[/li][/ul][/quote]

After closing all Opus/IE/Word windows I can call up the document in Word and disable these particlar toolbars (or for that matter ALL toolbars) and then save the document. If I open that document, or any document for that matter, Word respects the state of the toolbars. By that I mean if the toolbars are ALL off then when I call up a document ALL the toolbars are off.

However, even when all toolbars are off if I drop a document into IE the toolbars appear - same with Dopus Viewer.

ANy pointers would be helpful!

Without a way to reproduce this locally it's tough to know exactly what's happening or where the toolbars are coming from.

I have a couple of ideas that might work but they could be wild goose chases. I've asked a friend who knows a lot about office add-ins if he has any ideas. Failing that I might code-up a possible solution and send it to you to try.

Alternatively, there's the MultiView plugin which shouldn't have this problem if you get the 3rd party viewer DLLs that it requires.

Office 2007 also comes with viewers which will work with the ActiveX plugin (the same one that you are using now) and which won't have this problem, but I imagine if you wanted Office 2007 you'd be using it already so that's not really a solution.

I could provide you with 2 the .DOT files to assist in replicating this.

The .DOT files reside in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP. There are other .DOT files there too as well as in C:\Documents and Settings<THIS USER>\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP. However, only 2 of them result in this floating toolbar annoyance.

There's got to be a way to resolve this....

If you zip them up and attach them to a reply (or private message if you prefer) then I'll take a look.

Hopefully they'll open some kind of toolbar without me needing to install the related add-ins.