Viewer pane isn't updated when switching tabs

Switching the tab (each having a selected file) is recognized by the metadata pane but NOT by the docked viewer pane (which is not refreshed to the newly selected file).

It's not specific to tab switching but to lister focus changing also!

If I press TAB to switch from source to destination the viewer pane isn't updated to the newly selected file in the destination (the content from the selected file of the source is still shown).

This is a really annoying bug, because I always have to press cursor up+down to manually trigger the update after switching between source and destination in the dual listers.

Indeed the meta-pane works as expected, even if I haven't recognized that. :slight_smile:

FWIW, you can push Space instead.

We should probably make the two panels consistent.

I'm not sure which way is best, though. Loading some file types into the viewer can time/CPU (e.g. full-decodes of raw camera images), which you may not want to trigger when just flicking through folder tabs to find the one you want.

At least for me, I wish to have the viewer panel and the selected file of the focussed tab to be always in sync.

Assuming I select a todo.txt of a ProjectA in the source and a todo.txt of a ProjectB in the destination. I want to quickly switch between source/destination by pressing tab to see the differences of the todos in the different projects. Currently I have always to press space (Leo mentioned that to me in an Email) and I really hate it.

+100 Votes for always in sync !!!

BTW: I have never recognized any performance impact due to the viewer panel, which is always part of my lister configuration. Anyway if somebody needs the viewer on demand he can assign the floating viewer to a hotkey.

Dylan, you just have 1 vote, because only Leo has infinity votes because he wrote the viewer pane (if I remember correctly).

Jon wrote the viewer pane. :slight_smile: I just wrote some of the viewers.

I think that's not a bug, but currently considered a feature. However, see my post a while ago at [url]Viewer pane "stickyness" - #2 by Pirx]. I think it would be great to be able to configure the behavior of the viewer pane so that it can follow the focus.

May be it's a good idea to provide a small sticky button that can be toggled to let metadata and viewer pane only react on direct selections (by clicking a file) and not on indirect selections (by switching tabs). But the certainly the default should be to always follow the focus to keep metadata and viewer pane consistent.

Leo, is there already any trend how to proceed with this issue? :slight_smile:

You'll need to give us more time, especially right after a release and when you've put some many different requests to us all at once.

When we're ready to say something, we'll either update the thread or put the change into a beta version.

Leo you misunderstood me. I do not want to rush you. I just want to know the trend (1 week, 1 month, 1 year, ...) because I was asked and I didn't know the answer.

There isn't really a trend. If you look around the forum and release notes, you'll find things which were done & in a beta version the day after they were requested, and other things which took years to do (or are still on the list).

Each request isn't an equal size, equal priority piece of work on a steady conveyor belt, and it depends as much on what other work we're doing as on anything else. (If we're already making related changes, we'll implement a bunch of other ideas that came up in that area as well. It's more efficient than jumping between areas all the time.)

If I could accurately predict when we'd do this then I would have already said so in the thread.

Also, we don't generally say we're going to do something until we know for sure that we're going to do it. (Usually, we say a feature is coming after we've already written the change, or at least already started. Before that, we might say something is a good idea, but that's it.) Otherwise people just get disappointed if things change.

(What other software do you use where you'd get a different response to that kind of question, asked right after the initial request?)

Hello Dears,

I installed Opus 11 a few days ago and I am totally impressed. Unfortunately I have a small beginner problem and maybe I found a bug:

1. There is a button on the top to enable the image viewer. As I have seen many screenshots with showing this viewer window floating around I'm wondering how can I undock this image viewer to be shown in an own window? There is no undock button and I can not drag it out of the window.

2. Sometimes the content of the image viewer becomes out-of-sync with the selected file. I'm pretty sure that this isn't intended. I can't say how exactly to reproduce but at least if I switch the tabs the content viewer does not follow. This leads to really weird situations (check the screenshot having a file m2 be selected but a file m1 be shown).

Sorry for my bad english!

[ol][li]If Preferences / File Operations / Double-click on Files / Use internal picture viewer for... is turned on then you can double-click images to open them in a standalone viewer window.

You can also create a button/hotkey which runs the Show command, if you don't want to change what double-clicking does.

[/li]
[li]This is by-design (although not set in stone). The viewer loads a file when you click on the file (or push space when the file has the focus). If you then change tabs, the viewer doesn't do anything, unless you click on a file in the new tab.

This can be important when dealing with files that will take a long time for the viewer to load, as it would get in the way of quickly changing from one tab to another and then back.[/li][/ol]

1. The mentioned setting works as expected. I will have a deeper look into the power of own command soon. It looks very exciting.

2. Since most f the typical file types are loaded sub-second I would propose to always let the viewer follow the tabs to meet 95% of the common situations. Otherwise new users (like me) may get confused, I never would have thought in pressing space to refresh the viewer. Cursor Up/Down doesn't work if there is only one file and clicking it again initates a rename operation. Thus I was really lost! :slight_smile:

Other file or image management tools (XnView, ACDsee, etc.) always keep the image viewer in sync with the selected file.

Maybe if you are afraid that it might perform slow in some situations you could provide something like a "pin current file" checkbox.

PS: Thank you very much for your quick answer!

This definitely makes sense (e.g. if you need to keep the content of a textfile on-screen as aid for locating other files).

+1 from me for such a "pin current file" checkbox

+1 for "pin current file" checkbox! I trained myself to use drag-select to avoid the viewer to update, but this is strenuous at times.

+1 for "update viewer-pane on tab switch" - option, too! I often compare files by eye, by clicking them alternating in src/dst, just toggling source/dest would do the trick then.

That the viewer pane occassionally becomes out of sync (e.g. closing a tab does not refresh the viewer pane) leads very often to oversights and misinterpretations in our team. Particurlarly for people that are new to DOpus or not that deep in touch with all these fantastic features.

Thus I was recently asked if we could improve that by implementing an event script by ourself. To be honest I already have a deeper look into that and unfortunately I have not achieved any result so far. I can't find methods that are triggered on tab or item selection or on source / destination focus changes.

Leo, tbone do you have any idea if this could be done? To be honest I even do not know which argument of the Show command refers to the viewer pane to refresh the content by a given filename.

Thanks in advance for any help!

There isn't a script event for file selection (we figure it would slow things down too much) so I don't think a script could solve this particular task.