Viewing files and folders too slow

At now I start network folder every time I open a lister and after that I can normally work.

I meant that you could place a shortcut to the network folder in the Windows start menu startup folder so that the network folder would launch on Windows startup, thereby making it less painful to work in Dopus.

But what's the reason!!?

In attachment - log file from Process Monitor, may be anyone can help me?
Logfile.zip (353 KB)

• Is your C:\ drive using a filesystem other than NTFS? Or does it have folders like Desktop or parts of the user profile redirected to a similar non-NTFS filesystem?

The log has a lot of errors like this for operations which would not usually fail, triggered by the OS itself when Opus is doing routine things like asking for things like file and folder icons:

INVALID DEVICE REQUEST Control: FSCTL_LMR_QUERY_DEBUG_INFO

It may not be the problem, but it's certainly unusual.

• Using ShellExView, disable any shell extensions related to these programs/vendors, then reboot and see if the problem remains:

• Graphisoft ArchiCAD 18 (This one in particular seems to be opening a load of DLLs and then every font on the system, each time it is loaded to display custom columns. It's also doing that via the old-style custom column API which Opus still supports but Explorer no longer supports, so it could be the reason you see a slowdown in Opus and not Explorer. My bet is it is what's causing the problems.)

• Autocad

• Tracker Software

(PS: please follow up in less than a year next time if you want us to help you)

Yes, filesystem is NTFS, all folders like Desktop are all right...
All the year i use network tab in a lister and there was no delay

and now a problem is REALLY solved! with shellexview disabling autocad, archicad and tracker software - there is NO more delay!

let's go for buying Dopus12 now, there was no Opus problem... thanx a lot

Glad it's fixed now!

That was why I suggested using ShellExView to try disabling shell extensions back when the thread was new, or using Process Monitor if that didn't work. As you can see, within half an hour of seeing the Process Monitor log we were able to suggest particular extensions to disable, but you could also have found them by disabling everything and then turning things back on until the problem came back.

Hello, I also had a little delay after changing the folders. But after I disabled all the Autodesk shell extensions nothing was better. I noticed, that I had a lot of folder tabs above the listers, some invisible which pointed to network paths or the USB memory stick. After closing all the folder tabs everything was quick again.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Office preview slow in Opus and broken in Explorer

Do you have anything installed that messes with the window borders, e.g. to add extra buttons to them for moving between monitors or similar?

More generally:

I have Actual Windows Minimizer, but I don't encounter this error in no other software. I can not figure out which may be the cause, although I use many softwares that could interfere, such as Expandrive and Visual Subst.

I do also have a button in DO toolbar to merge two/more folders together.

We've found similar tools go wrong with Opus sometimes, usually because they make assumptions about the way threads are used in the program which aren't always correct. Sometimes they get updated to fix things once its drawn to their attention (but you'd need to verify the theory first, of course).

They may not be involved, but it would make sense to remove them temporarily to see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, we can move on to other ideas.

Possibly related:

I can not understand why, but after a restart, DO is fast again. I tried a lot of processes in order to make it slow with no success. :))

The big issue in my case is when I try to rename and move files and folders. Although with a ssd and a i5 4 cores cpu, there are lags difficult to understand.

It doesn't seem like we are still talking about the same problem as before, but that kind of slowdown is usually caused by antivirus.

Following your advice, I tried to see if the problem persists if Windows Defender is turned off. So, I installed another antivirus software and voila: the slowness has disappeared!

I don't like the idea to stay unprotected, so I would recommend this way of solving the issue.

We recommend NOD32; it's what we use ourselves. But anything other than Defender is usually an improvement.

1 Like

I think I found the (real) cause of the slowness of DO. It was an already solved problem I asked for help in the past: Slow Directory Opus due to many lock tabs. Why? - #2 by Leo

My memory plays tricks on me.