Warning-Nitpicking! Change tooltip order

Yes, I know this is really nitpicking but I sometimes get tripped up on the tooltip order. For that matter, I also get tripped up on button creation order in a 3 button icon. To me the logical order is Left, Middle, Right.

I often hit the wrong command because I look at the middle tooltip for a button and select the middle button. Why does the middle tooltip refer to the right button?

It's because a button with only two actions will have Left and Right click actions. So the Middle click action is always the 3rd one to be added.

With the current system the 2nd item is always the right-click action, whether or not there is a middle-click action.

Changing the order was actually tried back when Opus 6 was in beta and it turned out to be more confusing than the current order, at least for all of the early testers. I think I was the person who suggested the Left-Middle-Right order and when I got what I thought I wanted I found it confused me. I was glad that it went back to Left-Right-Middle. :slight_smile:

Might be subjective but I definitely changed my mind.

I believe the reason for this order of Opus three-buttons: LMB, RMB, and MMB, has to do with the evolution of the mouse and how a mouse is typically used. A three-button mouse is not actually a standard mouse. It's very handy to have, just not standard. You need only look at how most laptops are built--most do not have a middle mouse button equivalent; however, all have a LMB and RMB.

Historically, mice only had the LMB, and RMB. The middle mouse button was added later. Also, if you hold a modern, ergonomic mouse in your hand correctly, you can click the LMB and RMB faster (a different finger naturally will rest on each button). However, the middle mouse button usually requires the user to lift a finger from the either the LMB or RMB in order to click on the MMB.

So Opus is listing the button clicks in a progression convenience of which mouse button a user would most likely click, not a spatial order from left-middle-right. Proficient computer users will click the left button more than they click the right button, and they will also click the right button more than the middle button. And this is also the easiest to click to the hardest to click. (This all assumes a right handed user of course.)

The infotip for each button displays where the buttons are listed in the order-of-convenience and in the order that each button's function is actually listed in Customized mode: LMB, RMB, MMB.

If you think of it this way is should be a lot easier to remember.

[quote="nudel"]
Changing the order was actually tried back when Opus 6 was in beta and it turned out to be more confusing than the current order, at least for all of the early testers.[/quote]
Well, as I said, it is a small thing. I think maybe I'm having a problem because I am a long time user of Powerpro and it's tooltips are in the L-M-R order. I have to say that order still makes more sense to me. I can live with it.