Where is file folder context menu

My heavily themed system has a gradient on common right click context menus. Dopus doesnt use common win context menu but menu for applications instead which is extremely undesirable for my case since it improperly renders gradient images: it stretches popupbackground property over menu item instead of the whole menu body. That being said, with Dopus I get only top part of the popupbackground image property overlapped over single menu item. The only workaround is to set custom images for opus context menus. I go to context menu customizer and see a bunch of menus namely lister libraries context, lister ftp context, lister zip context, lister context etc etc. But theres no any mention of file / folder context menu. Where do I find that. My impression is that I can customize each and every menu here except for right click file / folder context menu. Can u explain the reasoning behind not including that one into the arsenal of all the other context menus available for customization.

Opus uses Windows visual styles to draw its menus, and uses them correctly and consistent with what Windows itself does, in all cases which I have been able to test.

But some third-party / unofficial themes assume that the theme parts will be used in a different way, or patch the way they are used in standard menus.

(This may be partly because it doesn't matter which way the parts are used with any official themes (so far), and as a result some popular applications like Firefox have done things the wrong way, and themes that want to do something more complicated than the standard themes may base what they do on making it look right in Firefox, even though Firefox itself is wrong, or at least was some years ago when I was looking at this.)

To answer your question, the content of file context menus are defined under Settings > File Types, but you can't customise the backgrounds of the menus as a whole, only the colors and icons used by individual items.

Turning on Preferences / Toolbars / Appearance / Use Office 2003-style for toolbars may give you better results, as it will mean Opus uses its own custom drawing code instead of using the system themes, including for the file context menu. It will also give you a gradient effect along the left edge, although I don't know if it will be the same as the one you are trying to create with the theme.

Opus uses Windows visual styles to draw its menus, and uses them correctly and consistent with what Windows itself does, in all cases which I have been able to test.

Sure thing, windows is incredibly monolithic at this point which is the exact reason why it incorporates 4-6 types of legacy context menus, to sustain backward compatibility. Opus uses one of these "menus for applications" that is being the one handling popupbackground property in a very odd way. Its windows gimmick, and opus just relies on, that is all.

To answer your question, the content of file context menus are defined under Settings > File Types, but you can’t customise the backgrounds of the menus as a whole, only the colors and icons used by individual items.

This does not answer my question. Yup menu entries could be customized, modified, appended to context menus no problem but Im not asking about menu items in the first place. Im asking about backgrounds that can be modded here:

cbtoWTf

How cant they be customized when I just modified them.

When I put a gradient image onto menu popupborders property windows' app menu looks like this:

wysB9iT

File explorer native context menu looks like this:

OxPzgA8

opus right click context menu, when modded, looks like this:

N4DWIFX

My question is, why are there no option to add an image to opus' file / folder context menu in this preferences window:

R9lRdIT

All kinds of menus are right there. Where is this one:

q2eVu1I

I hope its clear now what Im asking.

(You can paste or upload images direct to the forum, no need to use ImgUr and definitely no need to make people go to pastebin and then manually copy & paste each URL to see the images. :slight_smile: I've moved the images into the main post for you.)

Comparing the Explorer and Opus menus, it looks like both are using the Windows menu theme consistently/correctly. (Only difference is the style of arrows.)

The reason you can edit more aspects of the menus under Customize / Context Menus is that they are fixed menus which you can edit every aspect of. In fact, that kind of menu is the same as a toolbar to Opus, and you can edit all the same things on it.

On the other hand, the menus you get when you right-click a file or folder are generated on the fly by combining things from the registry (for matching file types, generic types, etc.), shell extension DLLs (which may custom-draw their menu items), and Opus filetype settings (which can override or add to data in the registry). The menus are not fixed toolbars but generated from lots of separate data when you right-click.

While we could have a dummy toolbar/menu that you could edit and which was then cloned when the file context menus were built, it isn't something we have done or been asked for before. Not something we are against doing, but that's how it is right now. Although custom-draw menu items would pose a problem, as they may draw things in a way which would not be visible on a custom background (but that's also true of changing the menu theme in general, so not a huge downside).