Where should icons be placed?

I want to use custom icons for buttons, but I also want to be able to backup these icons when I use the backup Dopus wizard. Where should I store the icons I use in a dopus configuration?

Use /iconsets alias.

1 Like

Thanks.

However, I realized that sub folders under /iconsets weren't backed up...

Anywhere in %APPDATA%\GPSoftware\Directory Opus

Yes, you are right.
In Dopus 13, subfolders in /iconsets are backed up.
Also, all files in /dopusdata/User Data are backed up...

There is no Dopus 13.

Dopus 13 = Directory Opus 13
Not a folder, the program...

1 Like

Yes, that is what I meant. There is no version 13 of Directory Opus. Only 12.

:grinning:

2 Likes

/dopusdata/User Data is best for individual files you want to include in backups/exports.

/iconsets is intended for icons packaged into icon sets. I guess putting individual icons in there should be OK but it’s not what the folder is meant for.

That said, making your icons into an icon set may be a good idea as well, if they are for use on toolbars/menus. If there are a lot of them, an icon set will load faster than individual icons (at least after the first time it’s loaded after each change, which caches it in a format that can load more quickly).

I myself put the images/icons used in my customized buttons etc. in the /dopusdata/Images folder and it gets backed up for sure.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice Leo. I don't have a lot of icons yet. Maybe I should put them in /dopusdata/Images as @bytespiller suggested?

Any of the three folders should be fine really. (Images, IconSets or User Data.) Can't see any real reason any would be a problem, so whichever you like best.

If you put things in one of the other dirs, it's worth remembering that not all config dirs are included in exports/backups, and some are only included to one level deep, without sub-folders. The three suggested dirs should be backed up to all levels in Opus 13, but IconSets was only to one level in Opus 12 (and earlier 13 betas).

If in doubt, you can do a config backup and then rename the .ocb file to .zip to look inside it and check if your files are included.

1 Like