Why does mounting vhd require elevation with DOpus

I use VHDs for a range of things, and I've noticed that I cannot mount them under DO without elevation, but it works fine from explorer.

Is there any configuration I can do to remove the need for elevation? Switch to explorer each time is painful.

Thanks

How are you mounting them? e.g. What are you clicking or running to do so.

Simply double-clicking on them.

When I right-click, "Mount" is the default action, and there is a shield icon next to it.

Under explorer, the default action is also "Mount".

I did a bit of digging, and with a non-admin account, both explorer and DOPus request elevation when mounting VHD files.

With an administrator account, explorer somehow bypasses the elevation prompt..

Note that this is Windows 10 1809 (17763.437)..

I didn't think it used to do this, so I rolled back to an older version of DOpus but that didn't change the behavior. It might be n

As a test, after highlighting the VHD in DOpus I pressed '>' and typed explorer "{filepath}"

The VHD mounted silently, and a DOpus window opened showing the mounted volume.

It would be nice to remove the elevation prompt, but this is a work-around for now.

Thanks

Explorer benefits from a system whitelist of Microsoft applications that are able to bypass UAC requests. Unfortunately Microsoft chose not to allow third-party software to also benefit from this whitelist.

Why does that not surprise me.

On an unrelated note. If I mount a bitlocker encrypted image, but do not unlock it, trying to right click on the drive icon produces the following;

This makes it impossible to unmount without switching to explorer... It also crashes DOpus of course.

Let me what if there are any logs I can send you. (Dopus 12.14 on Windows 10)

Regards

Thanks for the report! We've fixed that for the next update.