Why is OPUS constantly requesting focus?

When I have an open lister maximize din the background, OPUS flashes on the taskbar for a notification. What it's notifying, haven't figured that out yet. But it forces focus over any other window that currently has the user focus. Even another OPUS dialog😒!

This has been happening for a while now, I think since v12.20
Any advice? it's getting rather annoying.

DO version: 12.23 x64 beta
Windows 10 2004 b.19041

It shouldn't do that at random. What was being done just before it starts each time?

nothing consistent. It only needs to be maximized in the background and it will eventually grab focus, regardless of what was happening before. For example I opened the About dialog inside a lister and the lister again grabbed focus and moved to the top level window. if it's minimized, it doesn't happen. Is ther a way I can find out what it's notification is?

There isn't a way to know what requested the focus change. It may even be something outside of Opus.

Do you have any tools that change the way windows behave, e.g. multi-monitor tools, or things that add things to the window borders of other software? Those do strange things with Opus sometimes.

I do have 3rd part themes installed, removed them to test as win10 OEM theme. now observing...

and it went off as i was hitting send on this... :thinking:
also, it doesn't seem to matter anymore if the lister is minimized, it grabs focus and restores the lister window over whatever you were doing previously. it's like an excited adolescent Labrador.. :stuck_out_tongue:

It's not normal for Opus to do that and we don't have any similar reports, at least not recent enough for me to remember them.

So it must be either something in the Opus configuration (although not many things other than scripts could do this kind of thing), or something else installed on the machine.

If you want to try the default Opus config, backup your current config first (Settings > Backup & Restore), then uninstall Opus, and finally reinstall Opus. You'll then be on the default config and can see if the problem still happens.

If it still happens with the default config, I would look at what else is installed on the machine.

So, after a massive cleanup, I almost did the fresh DO install, but, while verifying backups, I noticed the blink-flash-dopus-on-top-again was followed by another backup file appearing. I've been meaning to look closer at the settings for Settings Auto Backup (Normal and USB) - #15 by Chuck because it seemed to be backing too often -- In fact, it had 504 yesterday, not including the huge chunk I deleted.

Every blink-and-focus-dopus event was followed by another ocb file generated, every 62-63s.

I tried setting all OnEvent to false except the timer, but it kept saving every minute. (Restarting DO after making changes)

Solution 1: Disable the timer. Changing the interval didn't help but disabling OnTimer solved the issue.

Solution 2: Solution: Copy the osp file (or rename it?) which seems to create a new configuration (somewhere).

Solution 3: Find the corrupt configuration and reset it.

This is the bad version...

And the good one...

The osp files are in %appdata%\Directory Opus\Script Addons or /dopusdata\Script Addons
Scripts are in prefs -> Toolbars -> Scripts.

I'll put a link back to here in the original thread over there: Settings Auto Backup (Normal and USB) - #18 by raymm

1 Like