Wildcard folder formats and artist/album folders

The "what's new" notes for 10 say:

"Wildcard folder formats allow you to assign formats to files by name or type (e.g. *.zip) as well as assign different formats to different levels in a folder hierarchy (e.g. in a music folder, have the Artists folders use thumbnails while the Album folders below all use Details)."

Can someone explain how to make Artist folders use thumbnails and Album formats use details? It's not clear how wildcards can help make this happen.

Thanks!

First of all, you need some sort of hint included in your names, of which type the album actually is, because you want to use wildcards. Let´s say, you have two name
prefixes, "album" & "artist". Then you start setting up your wildcards like in the screenshot.Choose a new wildcard from the menu (green drop down menu)
(in case you don´t know already). The name part needs maybe a little tweaking, depending on the level of the path. If you check the display mode check box,
you can set the desired view type.

wow, what visual style are you using? that looks really nice :slight_smile:

i'm a bit confused. so let me tell you how my library is set up.

first level is either MP3 or FLAC
second level is just artist
third level is: "[date] album"

thanks!

Thanks. I use some style from Tuneup Utilities 2010 (with the maintenance functions mostly all off)

[quote]i'm a bit confused. so let me tell you how my library is set up.

first level is either MP3 or FLAC
third level is: "[date] album"[/quote]

Sorry, i´m not quite sure, how to set the levels in that case, because i have not too much experience with the wild card levels yet. Seems like the wildcard in the example could work on your
second level (Artist*), while the third level couldbe something like Album**, or something along that lines. I can´t test it right now, because i´ve got to power down the
computer (it´s very late now). Forget about what i said about the album names; i think the folders names are just enough to let you set the view mode inside them, so you don´t
have to include any clue in every album name, although it would work as well.

[quote="newguy"]first level is either MP3 or FLAC
third level is: "

Use these wildcards to match each of the three levels:

[b]*(MP3|FLAC)

*(MP3|FLAC)*

*(MP3|FLAC)**[/b]

What Leo said... yep. This is the very first use-case I put the wildcard formats to use for. Showing the album folders in thumbnails, and the contents of each album folders in details with various music tag columns enabled... Nice to see someone else using it as well.

thanks leo and steje, good stuff!

i've been using a workaround up until now - an .xxx filetype that i drop in to artist folders, hide, and use to force thumbnail view. it works ok, but it's not fun remembering to copy the file every time i rip a new artist. now it's much easier.

hooray for progress!