Wildcard for exact number of consecutive characters?

Hi, I miss a wildcard for an explicit/exact string/name/exate consecutive characters,
-» p.ex. if I would have different labels (included label-icons) for files in which file names are the ^^-signs OR the ^^^-signs in it - an I don't want to see the label-icon from the label-wildcard-definition of the ^^-strings/signs but only the label-wildcard-definition of the ^^^-strings/signs viewing in Dopus p.ex. the file: hello^^^again.txt

I tried with the following wildcard-definitions for the ^^-files AND for the ^^^^-files:

*^^^~(^^)*
*^^~(^^^)*

OR:

*^#^^*
*^#^*

OR:

*^(^)^*
*^(^)~(^^^)*

...BUT every time I see always TWO icons of my BOTH wildcard-(icon)-label-definition-sets for the ^^-signs AND for the ^^^-signs ...

So, at the DOPUS-help (http://127.0.0.1:36787/v12.17/index.html#!Documents/Pattern_Matching_Syntax.htm) I didn't found any possibilities to define a wildcard for exate consecutive characters (not with "or" bur with "AND" and "ONLY").
Thanks for help.

Use regular expressions.

These look more complicated than normal, since ^ is also used in regex to mark the start of the string, as well as negating character sets.

Match exactly two ^ anywhere in the name:

(^|[^^])\^{2}($|[^^])

Change the 2 to 3 to match exactly three, and so on.

Leo, thanks for your answer.
but it does not work - neither with (^|[^^])\^{2}($|[^^]) nor with *(^|[^^])\^{2}($|[^^])* at the file hello again^^.txt
Do you have any more ideas?
Maybe you can also send an example to find p.ex. (exact) the charakter(s) "01 -" at the beginning of a file or directory ...
Thx.

Did you forget to turn on the "use regular expressions" checkbox for the label?

"regular expressions" I can find and see at preferences in 3 categories:

1. File Displays -> FAYT and Filter Bar Options -> Filer Bar -> 'Use regular expression' [= NOW activated];
  2. Folders -> Global Filters -> Enable global wildcard filters -> Filename (desktop.ini|thumbs.db|ehthumbs_vista.db) [= NOW activated] and -> Folder [= NOW acrivated];
  3. Miscellaneous -> Advanced -> regex_style [it was set to 'C++ TR1 (ECMAScript)']
    ... but nothing happens

My wildcards I've set at preferences -> Favorites and Recent -> Label Assignments -> Create a new label wildcard label -> (^|[^^])\^{2}($|[^^]) or *(^|[^^])\^{2}($|[^^])*
What have I done wrong?

That shows this window:

There is a "use regular expression" checkbox under the field you type the wildcard into.

... ahhh ...thanks! -» YES, this works with the character ^.
=> But do you have an idea why it does NOT work with the character ´, like: (´|[´´])\´{2}($|[´´])[ATTENTION: This is NOT the same character as ', which you have permanently assigned in the wildcards]?

You've changed too many of the ^ characters. Some of them need to stay as they aren't matching literal ^ characters. As I mentioned earlier:

These look more complicated than normal, since ^ is also used in regex to mark the start of the string, as well as negating character sets.

Try this:

(^|[^´])´{2}($|[^´])

I recommend studying regex if you need to use things like this a lot. It isn't too complicated when you break things down, and it's very useful.

Leo, +! = PLUS! - You are the best, many many thanks!
And promised: Before I ask a question about this next time, I will study regex.
Thanks a lot!