Document Locator shell extension crashes

Directory Opus crashed with a pop up window stating that it had encountered an error. I was using the latest version 12.26 and then switched to the beta to see if that would resolve the issue. The same problem persists. The only thing I was doing at the time of the crashes was either navigating or the, as it did just now, I pulled open the About Directory Opus and it is just sitting there and the pop up has appeared.

After beta install:

There should be some crash logs created when those dialogs appear. Please send them to use and we'll see what's going wrong.

Here's how to find them:

Thanks! I have submitted the files.

The crash logs indicate this DLL is causing the crash:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Document Locator\x64\CSSShell.dll

From a quick search, it looks like it's related to ColumbiaSoft Document Locator.

I can't see much context about what the DLL is doing as there aren't any debug symbols for it, but the logs consistently point to it as causing the problem.

If you send the logs to ColumbiaSoft, they should be able to use their debug symbols to find out what's going wrong in more detail.

Disabling any related shell extensions using ShellExView 64-bit will probably also prevent the crash from occurring.

If you can tell us the CLSID for the extension from ShellExView, we can also add it to our list of blocked extensions so it doesn't cause other people problems, although reporting the issue to ColumbiaSoft so they can fix it would be preferable (assuming they're interested in fixing it).

Thank you Leo. I suspected it might be related to that product. They provide a software that connects / hooks directly into File Explorer similar to Dropbox but hooks into a database to secure files on a remote system.

I am working closely with them to provide their product for my clients. I will see if they can review the logs I sent you to see if they can debug the issue on their end. I will also find the CLSID and provide you with that information as well.

Thanks again!

Here are the CLSIDs:

CSSLocatorSearch.dll has two CLSID
{65B83071-B595-4F15-BDEB-2B51A9517B07}
{5E954256-9B33-430F-BB20-77AC5B30533B}

CSSShell.dll also has two CLSID
{ECB21A33-7D03-4344-96DC-BCB34AC085DB}
{ECB21A33-7D03-4344-96DC-BCB34AC085DB}

1 Like

Hello Leo,

Not sure what the resolution is for this particular problem. I have contacted ColumbiaSoft and I am still waiting to hear from them as well. Using ShellExView to disable the related shell extensions is not a long term solution since their software is used to manage and control client documentation. You had stated something to the effect of "add it to our list of blocked extensions..." What exactly does that mean?

If we block it, it will be the same as if you disabled it via ShellExView, except that it's only blocked inside Opus not other processes. (You can also do the same via Preferences. See the FAQ on right-click / shell extension crashes for details on where to add the CLSID to block i inside Opus.)

If you need their extension to work then they'll need to fix it so it doesn't crash. All we can do is prevent it from running inside of Opus.