Win64: Double-Click on Desktop Icons Issue

Running DO9 on Vista Ultimate x64.

I also had this problem running DO8 on a W2k3 64-Bit Server O/S, but it could just be a config issue as I'm using the same config import on both.

When I double-click on any desktop icon, be it a system icon, shortcut or file, I get a new default lister appear instead of running the shortcut/file/etc. I can right-click on the desktop icon and run/open from there ok, jut not on a double click.

Please advise!

I too am running Vista Ultimate x64 and notice this behavior as well -- anything on the desktop that you select and try to open gives you a new window.

I think it might be due to the fact that "Open in Directory Opus" is the default action for everything, because when I right click and select "Open" or "Explorer" it works just fine.

Is this a bug or a config error that we need to correct?

On Windows XP clicking on the My Documents desktop icon doesn't even work. There is an FAQ on this issue. What you are seeing on Vista x64 is mostly likely related.

I checked the FAQ and searched for other posts quite thoroughly before posting this issue - it is not the same as previously reported (possible issue with a windows update).

I believe the problem is related to 64-bit operating systems.

[quote="spoonwzd"]I checked the FAQ and searched for other posts quite thoroughly before posting this issue - it is not the same as previously reported (possible issue with a windows update).

I believe the problem is related to 64-bit operating systems.[/quote]

I agree; I have my laptop that is Vista 32bit and it works perfectly on the desktop; however on my 64bit main system here is where that woe is. Methinks it's one of those dandy 64bit woes.

[quote="TheBishop"][quote="spoonwzd"]I checked the FAQ and searched for other posts quite thoroughly before posting this issue - it is not the same as previously reported (possible issue with a windows update).

I believe the problem is related to 64-bit operating systems.[/quote]

I agree; I have my laptop that is Vista 32bit and it works perfectly on the desktop; however on my 64bit main system here is where that woe is. Methinks it's one of those dandy 64bit woes.[/quote]

This issue may very well be specific to Vista 64-bit, which is not currently supported by any version of Opus. Still, it is helpful that you folks have reported to issue as something GPSoftware can look out for when they start work on a 64-bit-compatible Opus version. But I wouldn't expect too much in the way of a fix for this anytime soon. I'm sure they have their hands full resolving recently reported Opus 9 issues on 32-bit operating systems.

Thanks for the reply - I don't really know why 64bit is even out there as no-one really supports it. Wonder if it'll ever take off as a mainstream OS in this decade? Still, an almost fully functional DO is better than Explorer! :slight_smile:

Just a FYI...

The same "bug" exists with Windows XP x64.

Ted

I'm on Windows XP 64 and have the same problem. Double-Clicking on any Icon on the Desktop opens a Directory Opus lister. Just found out this morning. Bummer :wink:

Thanks,

JefferyS

I ended up turning off this feature in x64 Windows - it is more important to me that double-clicking icons work properly, than to have the ability to start a lister by double-clicking the desktop; having said that, however, I really miss the ability to start a lister in this way.

Ted

Same problem here, why isn't 64 bit supported? I mean 32 bit systems can only support maximum of something 3,5 gigs of ram for example, it will not take long before everyone has at least 4 gigs of ram.

I understand that doing a native 64 bit opus takes much time but a working 32 bit opus in 64 bit OS would be a nice.

[quote="ev1te"]Same problem here, why isn't 64 bit supported? I mean 32 bit systems can only support maximum of something 3,5 gigs of ram for example, it will not take long before everyone has at least 4 gigs of ram.

I understand that doing a native 64 bit opus takes much time but a working 32 bit opus in 64 bit OS would be a nice.[/quote]
It isn't that 32-bit Opus doesn't work on 64-bit Windows, it's that 64-bit Explorer calls on 32-bit Opus (or vice versa) and that causes weird things to happen.

Same sort of reason that most context menu shell extensions don't work on 64-bit Windows in Explorer. (I don't understand why MS couldn't make a 32-bit proxy process for compatibility there. Maybe they just didn't have time or didn't think it was worthwhile.)

Most apps don't tie into the shell and the rest of Windows as much as something like Opus does.

Some of these problems may be fixable by registry changes (e.g. to prevent Opus being involved with certain tasks) but others may simply require an actual 64-bit version of Opus to work properly. GPSoft have said there will be one later this year.

I also have the same problem in Vista 64bit :cry:

Me too. Vista x64.

I'm leaving the double click feature on. I can get used to right clicking > opening the icons when I need to.

Where do I turn on/off the double-click-desktop feature. I had it turned ON since I never use my desktop for files, although with the new 9.0.0.2 version it was set to OFF or something for some reason, now I can't double click my desktop any more to get a new lister...

Running Vista x64 of course.

Edit: Also can not seem to find Explorer replacement ether even if I don't want to change it right now.

doh! v 9.0.0.2 seems to have removed that feature for us. luckily I have v9.0.0.1 so I'm going back to that until it's re-enabled. :slight_smile:

Currently Explorer Replacement mode and Desktop Doubleclick do not work under x64.

Desktop Doubleclick works (with the small bug of not being able to doubleclick files on desktop which i do not use..)

Is there some way to enable doubleclick in the new version (trough regedit or similar?) Otherwise is it possible to easily revert back to version 9.0.0.0-1 which still has this feature. (Have never tried to install a previous version before)

Dunno if it helps but actually Desktop Doubleclick works on mine (Vista Ultimate x64). :smiley:

Same for me. Would also like to go back to 9.0.0.1 - but don't have the installer files anymore :frowning:(