Windows 11 - Do you feel it too? It's coming

Source
Rest in peace to all my Horizontal brothers.

1 Like

@cyilmaz
Installing an editor is not the point. If you have to take care of 100+ customer machines/servers etc., you cannot go and install/run whatever software you like on each of them every time, you need a somewhat capable text editor for config and log files on these machines - right from the start and by default (as every linux does).

Some of us like it on top!

2 Likes

Removing the pinned apps & search box and moving the taskbar to the top are the first 2 things I do on a fresh install or a new user profile. At work the taskbars on my side monitors are vertical. Make center the default for all I care, but make it customizable. Of course at some point Microsoft or a 3rd party app will re-allow positioning the taskbar & start menu, but such artificial limitations are annoying sigh.

1 Like

Just don't buy/install, the solution is so easy. o)

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

But then we will be left in the dust. Microsoft has already announced they plan to phase out W10 in four years.
Win11 is gonna another notch in spying or what they call telemetry.

I am tired of all the bloat that comes with windows, why cant they go full linux. Since the marketing guy was replaced by an actual engineer to lead the company they've done well with things like Open source (I think) but they are still shy.

Maybe they have some stipulations with the NSA that is limiting them.

2 Likes

My i5 processor has been judged by Microsoft to be too old for windows 11. Apparently my Gigabyte motherboard is also too old. My computer runs perfectly fine and with Directory Opus I feel confident that I can hang on for four more years. If they drop support for windows 10 in four years time, I may upgrade my hardware. I suspect that this is all about revenue streams, but possibly I'm missing something.

Good call. Some people are saying Microsoft may change their mind during the beta. who knows

I do not think Microsoft is at fault with the new requirements, to be honest. Forced SecureBoot, Bitlocker and Core Isolation will set a new baseline for Windows devices security. The end-users will figure out a way to bypass it but OEMs shipping their shiny new creations with Windows 11 must comply and in turn, all new laptops and prebuilts will be far more secure by default.

Are these measures too much for home users that want to browse the internet and listen to music? I am not sure but anything that enhances security gets a YES from me.

Windows Telemetry could be disabled completely but indeed some advanced digging is needed. The same goes with Bloatware. Though of course, I wish that was not necessary at all.

And now, to make you all jealous and I am at the centre of envy:

1 Like

I am new to this but I suspect this just what they want. locking out 70% of your consumers hardware from your product does not make sense unless its a risk being taken towards another end.
Even the Surface Pro 5 is not eligible, the device is not even that old. Article about Microsoft recent attempts

I don't think a point when Netflix and Spotify rejecting to service a user due to his credit score via TPM ID is far of.

I wish this was so cut and dry. No one seems to know where windows begins and spying/telemtry ends. When I flick buttons of in settings, its just for appearances sake. So many legal backdoors built into it anyways. I am waiting for Windows11 ameliorated.
In some corners, Linux users make daily threads laughing us but their system stinks more and they know it.

I am jealous indeed. You must have went shopping before the miners ruined the market!

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

I don't think TPM has enough benefits to justify blocking so much recent, capable hardware from running the OS. It's a trade off that doesn't make sense.

If someone has access to your machine to attack it in a way which secureboot would prevent, they could easily do so many other things that it wouldn't stop. You can hide a computer inside the plug of a normal looking USB cable these days and, once that's plugged into your PC, it can do just about anything. Secureboot and TPM won't stop it.

I suspect the requirement will be walked back, but who knows. Microsoft aren't exactly making good choices recently.

4 Likes

Startmenu actually is crap.

Yeah, they've been messing with the Start Menu since Windows 8, and they still can't get it right.
They keep taking different directions.

I've been a StartIsBack user since Windows 8, but I always enable, "Display Start Screen Shortcut" in the settings to have easy access to both.

Acording to https://www.howtogeek.com/759882/how-to-move-windows-11s-taskbar-to-the-top-of-the-screen/ there is a registry setting to move the taskbar to the top. I have no personal experience with it.

1 Like