Windows 8, Opus 11/64 and QuickSFV 64

I'm using QuickSFV 64 in Opus 11 in Win 7/64 without any problems, but in Win 8/64 I get an error message (attached) whenever I try to create a CRC profile using the context menu (the only way to do it AFAIK). If I click Yes to terminate the thread Opus freezes so I have to kill it via Task Manager. Any way to fix this? It works fine in Explorer when setting the right file permissions, but that doesn't have any effect on Opus.

Where do the file permissions come into this? It seems like a detail is missing here.

Crashes when invoking context menu shell extensions are generally due to the extensions themselves, and unless they are open source it is difficult/impossible for us to debug them. Reporting the issue to the QuickSFV authors may be the best thing to do.

However, if there is a crash dump created matching the time of the crash, and if you link your account, I can check the dump to verify that the crash is happening within the QuickSFV DLL, in case it isn't. (It probably is, from your description, but there are always other possibilities.)

I was just testing if QuickSFV would work at all in Win 8, using Explorer. I couldn't find any way to enable Admin mode when using the context menu and disabling UAC didn't help either, so I changed the permissions for a file instead, which worked. So I assume the Opus problem doesn't have anything to do with permissions or UAC. In Win 7 I just have to enable Admin mode in Opus or turn UAC off to make QuickSFV Work, but that doesn't make any difference in Win 8, I still get the error.

No Opus crash dump anywhere it seems.

As for the developer of QuickSFV he's never responded to bugs reports or fixed the bugs or anything else so there's probably no point in trying to contact him. Development of the program also seem to have stopped completely.

Any plans for making a similar function in Opus, using MD5? Otherwise I've considered writing a program similar to QuickSFV myself. There are others out there, but I haven't been able to find any that are as simple to use as QuickSFV.

What does it do?

I creates a checksum file with SFV or MD5 hashes of selected file sets. You can later check the file set for corrupted or missing files by double clicking the checksum file. It's very easy to use since it's Integrated into the file browser. See screen video here:

miscfiles.net/temp/0001/QSFV_demo

QuickSFV homepage: quicksfv.org

[quote="zenzai"]I'm using QuickSFV 64 in Opus 11 in Win 7/64 without any problems, but in Win 8/64 I get an error message (attached) whenever I try to create a CRC profile using the context menu (the only way to do it AFAIK). If I click Yes to terminate the thread Opus freezes so I have to kill it via Task Manager. Any way to fix this? It works fine in Explorer when setting the right file permissions, but that doesn't have any effect on Opus.
[attachment=0]opus_quicksfv.jpg[/attachment][/quote]I just tried QuickSFV and I got the same error message. It worked before with DOpus 10+Windows 8.1.

And yes, it would be nice to be able to create a MD5 file with DOpus and to check my files with a simple double click on this MD5 file.

In case it matters, I'm also running Win 8.1, with all updates including the recent "big one".