Windows + E has just stopped working

I don't know what's happened.

If I press Windows+E it opens an Explorer window, not an Opus lister.

I haven't changed any Opus preferences and it's still set to be an explorer replacement. Double-clicking on the desktop still works okay.

Is there anything I can do to fix it? I've tried switching off explorer replacement and then switching it back on again.

Have you tried rebooting?

Yes I have. It has no effect.

I just tried changing the Launching Opus->From the Win + E hotkey to "Don't replace Explorer" and then back to "Open the Default Lister". Still no change.

What is Preferences / Launching Opus / From the Win + E hotkey set to do?

Which versions of Windows and Opus?

Make sure Opus is not running elevated: Why NOT to run Opus as Administrator under UAC

Make sure Opus is not running under Compatibility Mode for a different version of Windows to the real one: Windows Compatibility Settings / Wrong DPI / Installer misdetects OS

Windows is 21H2 19044.1415.

Opus is 12.26 build 8006.

Neither dopus.exe or dopusrt.exe are running elevated or in compatibility mode.

Is there any registry setting that I can check that would help?

Which folder opens in Explorer when you push the hotkey?

Either 'Quick Access' or 'This PC'. Whichever has been set in the Explorer options.

Only thing I can think of is that the DLL involved is no longer registered properly. Reinstalling Opus over the top of the existing installation should fix things if that’s the case.

(Don’t uninstall first, as there’s no need to and it would reset your config.)

Looks like that's done the trick. Thanks a lot. Maybe a Windows Update messed things up somehow. It's just started asking me to install Windows 11, which I'm ignoring for now.

1 Like