Windows Explorer crashing

I have had this problem for awhile now but decided to finally figure out what's causing it. Anytime I try running Windows Explorer, it either immediately or soon thereafter crashes and wants to send the information to MS. The information is:

AppName: explorer.exe
AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180
ModName: dopuslib.dll
ModVer: 2.0.61.3
Offset: 000156f7

I was running DO 8.2.2.4 but just in case upgraded to 8.2.2.5 to see if that fixed it but it didn't. I did have the option to "Replace Explorer for all but the following folders" but changed it during debug to "Don't replace Explorer".

Any suggestions?

bump

Try turning off everything under Prefs - Misc. - Windows Integration. Let us know if it still crashes or not.

Which version of Windows are you using, by the way?

I unchecked everything in the Windows Integration tab and rebooted just to make sure. Didn't open Opus and then Windows Explorer which immediately crashed with the same error wanting to send to MS. Renamed dopuslib.dll, rebooted, and then Explorer worked fine. Closed Explorer, opened Opus and renamed back to dopuslib.dll, started Explorer and again immediate crash.

Using XP Pro with SP2.

What do you want me to try next?
Thanks,
Jeff

Load Process Monitor, accept the default filter values, and then load Explorer. Once Explorer crashes, save the ProcMon log, zip it up and attach it to a reply or private message. I'll take a look to see if it indicates anything.

The other thing we can try is to manually unregister parts of Opus which Explorer calls, but there are several of them. Is there a pattern to when Explorer crashes, e.g. when you navigate to a new folder, or right-click on somewhere? Does the Desktop crash if you right-click on it?

Another thing to try is turning everything in the Preferences page back on, pressing OK, then turning it off again and pressing OK. That may correct damaged registry settings, but it's not guaranteed to help.

Have you recently edited any Opus File Types?

[quote="nudel"]Load Process Monitor, accept the default filter values, and then load Explorer. Once Explorer crashes, save the ProcMon log, zip it up and attach it to a reply or private message. I'll take a look to see if it indicates anything.
[/quote]
Done and PM'ed with log info.

As soon as I open Explorer and move the mouse it usually crashes. If not, clicking into a folder or something else will crash.

No, that works fine.

Tried but no change.

No, I haven't edited any Opus File Types.

Thanks for trying to figure this out.
Jeff

From the log it looks like you have the Opus Favorites shell extension installed and Explorer was doing something with it just before it crashed.

Could you try uninstalling Opus Favorites? I think it will have an entry in Add/Remove Programs. While it is a 3rd party add-on it does use some functions in dopuslib.dll which could explain why the crash went away after renaming dopuslib.dll.

Let us know what the result is, either way.

Opus Favorites was apparently the culprit. Once removed Windows Explorer worked fine. I installed Opus Favorites again and same problem. Oh well, I like Opus Favorites but I guess I can live without it.

Thanks for helping me figure out what the problem was!
Jeff

Glad we got to the bottom of it.

I'll drop Pascal (author of the Favorites add-on) an email in case he doesn't see this thread.

Just to let you know, Pascal replied to say he's found the problem in the DOpusFavorites add-on and has a fix on the way, once a couple of extra bugs are also squashed. If you're missing DOpusFavorites, keep an eye out for an update.

Great! Thanks for the update.