Windows Image Acquisition?

Does Directory Opus use Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)? Today I noticed that the cooling fan on my computer was spinning constantly at high speed, which is unusual. I checked the CPU usage in Task Manager and discovered that WIA was taking 20% of the CPU cycles constantly, which seems to have been what was causing the heat that kept the fan spinning.

I wasn't working with images, and didn't have any open, but I had, earlier in the day, opened a png file to take a quick look at it. It had opened in Directory Opus' built-in image viewer. Does the viewer use WIA? Is it possible that after I closed the image, the viewer didn't send some necessary message to WIA to tell it to give up the processor cycles it was using?

I ask about Directory Opus because I had never seen this before. I had never even known that WIA exists. The only recent change I've made to the system was to start trying Directory Opus.

I have begun noticing a similar thing myself recently. I will turn the computer on and after about 10 minutes I notice intense activity. Opus is using between 80 and 100 per cent of the CPU. Then slowly over about 10 to 15 minutes the usage drops back to about 15 per cent.
I have noticed that this can happen at random periods throughout the day.
I do have a very large number of images on my systems and I was beginning to wonder if this was Opus working with the thumbnail cache?

Opus does not use WIA directly, no.

It could use it indirectly if a component on the system uses it to generate thumbnails or similar. If so, you would probably (although not always) see the same thing if you viewed the same files in Explorer.

The FAQs section has other guides with suggestions on high CPU usage when viewing certain folders, or right-clicking files.

If it was not dopus.exe using the CPU then it may be unrelated to Opus (or any installed components that Opus may call for thumbnails, viewers, etc.). Was it triggered by doing something in Opus?

There are many threads on the web about WIA causing high CPU usage, which may be worth looking into unless there's something to indicate Opus is involved.

Thank you Leo for replying.

With respect to " ... unless there’s something to indicate Opus is involved.", the only evidence that Directory Opus might have been involved is circumstantial; I had opened an image by double-clicking in a lister, and the image opened in Directory Opus' image viewer. I looked at the image for less than a minute and then closed it, but hours later, WIA was still monopolizing CPU cycles.

It could most certainly have been something else. I had opened Word documents containing images, and PDF documents containing images. Windows may have been doing something image-related in the background that I'm unaware of.

It was just the coincidence of noticing this WIA issue for the first time during the same period that I'm trying Directory Opus, that led me to ask the question here.

Well, today I've had Directory Opus running all day, usually with multiple image viewer windows open. For the last few hours six image viewer windows have been open, as I've been referring to map images while writing a report.

With all these images open in Directory Opus' viewer, I've had no problems whatsoever with WIA hogging resources. Looks like there's little reason any more to suspect that Directory Opus had anything to do with yesterday's problem. On the contrary, today I have found the image viewer to be super convenient.