Winrar +DOpus

For users of Directory Opus that possess a registered version of winrar, would it be possible to configure Directory Opus to use the command-line version of winrar (rar.exe) plus the licence file placed into Directory Opus' folder? I'm aware that the free unrar.exe is available for inspection and extraction of existing rar archives, but I wish to be able to create rar files also. If a simple solution is not available can someone suggest this to the development team for consideration for a new feature in a forthcoming release?

Did you read this post: [WinRAR Compress/Decompress Buttons (and other))

If you have a valid Opus registration -- which includes free 60-day evaluations -- then you can request features yourself.

Thank you for your replies. Christiaan, I had seen that before, I considered it but thought it was not really what I wanted. I wanted something a bit like (dear I say the name) Total commander. Where by copying the rar.exe (not winrar.exe) into its folder, RAR files are treated very similarly to zip files by that application.

Thank you for your replies. Christiaan, I had seen that before, I considered it but thought it was not really what I wanted. I wanted something a bit like (dare I say the name) Total commander. Where by copying the rar.exe (not winrar.exe) into its folder, RAR files are treated very similarly to zip files by that application.

Directory Opus comes with a plugin that supports RAR archive files. This uses the freely distributable unrar.dll to access RAR archives.
Unfortunately this does not support creating or adding ... But as Leo wrote above, you could send GP Software a feature request:

gpsoft.com.au/Support.html

You could also send RARLabs a request asking if they'll ever allow third-parties to licence their rar creation code or give WinRAR an API which other programs can hook into when the user has a licensed copy of WinRAR on the same machine.

I think RAR is the only archive format in general use where the only way for other programs to create files in the format is to run "the one and only official archive creation program" via the command-line, which is far from ideal.

(Well, two if you count rar.exe and winrar.exe :slight_smile:)